What to do with all these babies??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
As close as I could keep up with them my Koi had 47 that reached 4 to 6 inches gave away all but 8 .... Mine like Sissy's are Mutts..... But some of them were pretty good looking fish..... But I discovered you put the word out.....FREE..... they will come.....lol

Reaction score
I'ma little late on this conversation. We have a ton of baby koi each year. We didn' know what to do with them all the first year either. We started selling the 3to 4in koi for a buck or two each.
That was several years ago. Now we make a couple thousand bucks each summer selling the babies. It more then pays for the electric and food each year. We have fo.ks come from a couple hours away to buy from us. Also, you get to meet a ton of really good people.
A lot of them come back year after year.
And to caught all the baby fish.... We pump out our 20,000 gallon pond every year. That' The only way to get them all. A minnow trap works for a few fish, but not when you have 1000 or more to get.

Reaction score
It going on a year now and I have not even tried to sell or give away any babies yet. Some of these babies are getting big. Some really pretty ones came out of this batch including some butterfly koi. (I have one large male butterfly koi in the big pond so I can see he was busy lol.)

And yesterday I was checking out my two girl koi and they are both huge with baby bellies. Good lord the cycle is going to start all over again. LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Mail order fishies! I’d love to find someone around here who’s looking to reduce their baby population. Lol, I’ll trade cats for fish! With 22 kittens, 2 have homes, one of which went today, plus my adults, I’m becoming a crazy cat lady. I’d prefer to need another pond to separate males from females!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Stray goldfish and koi won’t just wander into the female fish pond. We now have two stray males that showed up from unknown locations.

Ask a Question