Whatcha doing today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
I was kinda bad. I bought more plants! Luckily they didn’t have all the ones I wanted, or I’d be in trouble . But I got a patch of bulbs from Walmart with two dark purple day lillies, some lavender things, and a pale pink peony. Then a pack of crocus, and a dalilah in stunning white with dark purple, another water lilly, and flower seeds! I planted the bulbs already, to hide the evidence from hubby, who’d just laugh. If they do well, I’ll be moving them around next year, maybe even this year, depending on the pond and bog. They are in a big planter now. I’m so ready for spring and ponding. Now I just need to bide my time and save up so I can build my pond like I want!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
I’ve been fine tuning my pond idea. I’m trying to keep it good sized for the fish, but I see I’m shorting the bog. Without making it unwieldy sized, I’m thinking I’ll have to add bog area to the north another year. I’ll need more metal frames! So for this year, this is what I’ll try to accomplish. A berm raised 6”-1’ depending on how much dirt I end up with, all around it. Then I’ll put 4 of my metal frames right along the porch edge, fill them with dirt, so they sit about 2-3’ above ground level. I’ll slope the sides to either side and plant that with various plants to soften the look. The overflow from the bog will drop to a ledge about 6” deep, wide enough for me to walk on so I can tend the entire bog, and to allow water to calm before entering the pond major. The outer edge will have a shelf about 18 inches deep, kind of hollowed out a bit to allow planters to sit in there with out risk of falling off, but hopefully deep enough to prevent all but the bravest of raccoons from trying to turn the pond into a sushi bar. With lots of planters full of lillies, assorted water plants, and maybe some cute statuary, I think I can block most raccoons off. Then a ledge which will slope down from 24-30” deep, to a pit in the center 36” deep. That’s where I’ll set up egg crates to rest the pump on, with a diy large particulate filter. Not so deep I can’t get to it, but deep enough to avoid a bad freeze, give fish hiding places, and hopefully allow mulm to collect for ease of removal! As I like to just sit in my pond, enjoying the fish and lillies, I may make myself a comfy seat in there, where I can zen away a bad work day. Here’s a rough drawing of my plan. The red is the porch, orange is dirt built up for berm, yellow is the bog, and the blue is the pond. Sorry for how dark the picture turned out

Attachments

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
Taking our bed apart so we can put a board under the head bottom floor part. Supposed to help w/acid reflux. Lot of work w/this bed w/drawers underneath and sections of whatever. Thought it would be easy. Just lift up and put under but nope. I said why not just use those slanted pillow things or stick something under the mattress? Nope, hubby says do it w/a board. Oh well it's his reflux! I can see us taking this all apart in the future when we slide down the bed to the floor :sleep:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Got the pond running
20190316_124934.jpg

The bog with the first bit of water flowing.
20190316_124816.jpg

The red arrow is pointing to the lotus pond, the blue arrow is the garden hose waterfall, nothing but lotus and a lot of kitty litter. With the amount of kitty litter there is probably 150 gallons of water or less. Never cleaned, really stinks if you put your hand into the litter.

Goldfish are tough little fish. While yanking out some of the dead lotus leaves, stems, debris, etc. I saw at least 6 fish swimming around, courtesy of eggs flowing through the pump, the 35 foot garden hose, a water fall, to the first pond, then flowing into the second pond via a small waterfall. The pond is ice covered in the winter, no movement, no breather, things rotting and they survived just fine. One is around 7 inches, the rest smaller. Not saying the best thing for fish, but they are doing fine as accidental fish in a used to be fishless pond.
Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
I’m ready for spring! My first daffodils bloomed today. A cluster I didn’t know was there! I worked 2-12:30, and have to go back around 8 to correct a few issues. Write ups will be given, as there is no reason for them to make the mistakes they did, and not complete their assignments. I’ve busyed my butt, the manager is getting exhausted, and they keep standing around doing very little. So I’ll be writing up two of them. So to calm down, I dig up bulbs that are popping up where they aren’t wanted, and moved a bunch. I’ll be headed out to move more shortly!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
I have bulbs showing up here and there, they have fun with them. My smaller ones are blooming. The rest just growing.

We moved 4 bee hives today, took some out to a farm to help with pollination, moved the two that were there. They did a great nectar gathering job last year. But she learned what having bees meant, choose a spot that they walk by all the time the bees did not like that. So we moved them to a less active area.
We moved two more out to her farm which also reduces the numbers of bees hanging out here.
She has a ton of clover, which we lack, the bees go crazy for clover.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Lots and lots and lots of bulbs! I’ll have plenty when I decide just where I want them. Same for the naked lady lillies, they’ve all multiplied over at least 10-12 years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
My cats and dogs keep the worst of the squirrels at bay. They tend to prefer the oak and pecan trees to my bulbs. But a few have randomly popped up in odd spots that make me wonder if the pets or critters moved them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Taking our bed apart so we can put a board under the head bottom floor part. Supposed to help w/acid reflux. Lot of work w/this bed w/drawers underneath and sections of whatever. Thought it would be easy. Just lift up and put under but nope. I said why not just use those slanted pillow things or stick something under the mattress? Nope, hubby says do it w/a board. Oh well it's his reflux! I can see us taking this all apart in the future when we slide down the bed to the floor :sleep:
Or he could take Nexium, it works great!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
I currently have several hundred daffodil bulbs dug up, plus lots of clusters still to be dug. I’m out of containers to put them in. But I need to move them from where they are, to containers till I decide where I want them, cause otherwise they’ll get mowed, or squashed by dogs. So don’t be surprised if I post some for trade on here! I know I’ve got more than I could ever find good places for. In fact, I think my boss may need some for her new place! But man, I feel it in my legs and back how much time I spent on them!

Ask a Question