Whatcha doing today?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wish I was bored, so darn busy..................
I know what you mean after reading about your pond losing water.
I hope you figure things out and fix it, good thing you have the cam...I'm thinking I should get one too.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WOOPIE! I found it! and it was a simple fix. I have large flat rocks around the small ponds. All set to not shift, not move etc. Something.............who knows what, decided to stand sit, walk on one of those large rocks somehow managed to knock it a bit into the one pond, which took the liner down below water level. My cams don't see the area, I need to set one up so we can see it. So long and short the leak was a rock pushing down the liner. I didn't notice it yesterday, today I decided to see if I could find the problem.

There it was the liner nicely folded down, 12 inches below water level.

Next spring I am going to drain the pond so I can stand in it, and do cement blocks under the liner then add the decorative rocks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Chasing the fall foliage, it has been a good many years since the colors have been this good.
Land of the Lost   -4931-3.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's great @addy1 , Don't you just love it when problems work out so easy.
I was not looking forward to pulling the liner, but If I did have to pull it I was thinking of digging is out more, but there really is no more room. The down slope side is a thrown together wood wall, 2.5 feet high with some dirt piled on it, the uphill slope side is inches from the other small pond in the loop. The west edge is the lotus tank.

So next year, maybe more eggs, fry will make it through the pump and it will end up with fish again. I caught all the fish and tads and tossed them into the big pond, when I was thinking the liner was a goner. Those fish did not know what to do with all that water! Finally the big pond fish came to check them out and they swam away with the others.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm glad you found and fixed the issue @addy1 , nothing worse than pond issue this close to winter

@GBBUDD I can only imagine how lovely it was in person, beautiful shot!
I really haven't noticed much Fall colors around here, the high wind spells and the constant rain have really spoiled it this year, so thank you for sharing yours!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm glad you found and fixed the issue @addy1 , nothing worse than pond issue this close to winter
The one good thing, it only had 6 fish in it that managed to get there via eggs through the pump. It is more of a plant filter pond than a fish pond. I am happy I don't need to deal with it now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WOOPIE! I found it! and it was a simple fix. I have large flat rocks around the small ponds. All set to not shift, not move etc. Something.............who knows what, decided to stand sit, walk on one of those large rocks somehow managed to knock it a bit into the one pond, which took the liner down below water level. My cams don't see the area, I need to set one up so we can see it. So long and short the leak was a rock pushing down the liner. I didn't notice it yesterday, today I decided to see if I could find the problem.

There it was the liner nicely folded down, 12 inches below water level.

Next spring I am going to drain the pond so I can stand in it, and do cement blocks under the liner then add the decorative rocks.
I thought I had a leak in the pond, I was afraid it was one of the boulders that weigh over a ton. and found similar to your self it was a liner edging that had shifted. it was also at a fold it was a bottom fold that was shorter then the top two . so I know your relief and joy finding it and not having to basically start all over and ripping out the liner congress.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Phew! I just caught up with this thread - so happy to hear you don't have to deal with a leak @addy1 . And again you reinforced what we always tell people - most "leaks" aren't really leaks at all! Also, it pays to know your own pond - or in your case ponds - so you can easily spot things that are out of place when you're hunting down an issue.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Same happened to me awhile back. A squished down liner on the top edge by heavy rocks at a low point where runoff would go. Made the dirt mushy and slowly sunk down. Was a simple fix but I would not say easy as those darn rocks were heavy and awkward all covered w/ plants and moss. And of course it had to be right near the Palm tree and the fence and net didn't help so had to twist myself Houdini style to get at them,lol!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it pays to know your own pond - or in your case ponds - so you can easily spot things that are out of place when you're hunting down an issue.

I know them well enough to almost always know where the issue is, if there is a issue. Usually the fix is for a neighbor to turn off the feed to the loop ponds and the 1000 gallon tank. The stream is on a timer, so if the loss of water continues I have her unplug the pump. Then it can sit until we return. So far never a issue with the big pond. Just the additional ponds.
This was a overnight huge drop of water. Totally caught me by surprise. If I had not looked ,by the time we came home, the big pond would have been in deep doo doo.

Easier this time of year to wander, the ponds are off, the bees fed, yard on stand by.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Doing today? Fishroom day and the chore list is long. Cleaning, water changes and moving livestock. The pond dwellers are healthy and happy in their winter digs. I got a blue calico and a black calico comet in a rescue. Perfect way to top off the comet clan (9). They are awesome. Breeding up stock for spring (hopefully busy)shipping season. More winterizing the fishroom....so ya. Not up to much.

Attachments

• 944D5F8A-7497-4F6D-BF6D-4B61ACC80F85.jpeg
    944D5F8A-7497-4F6D-BF6D-4B61ACC80F85.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 87
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm looking forward to the Holidays, starting with the 3 day work week of Thanksgiving!
I plan on putting up the tree, decorate the house and put lights everywhere outside
who's with me?
smchristmass8.gif

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Doing nothing holiday wise, yet, we should be back in Md for them.
Tearing out cabinets, painting, shopping at HD and Lowes, got a estimate to fix the car we got as part of the settlement, i.e. free. Every corner had damage, mainly bumper, one side creased down the side. 41k miles on a Acura RSX.
Busy holidays are way down on my list of things to do right now.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gonna put a small tree up unless I can fit the bigger tree into a certain spot. Not sure yet. Turkey Day going to sisters boyfriends house w/the rest of family.

Got a nice chilly, sunny ride in today, then came home and cleaned the top pond edge filter. Full of muck, doing it 's job!

Ask a Question