Whatcha doing today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My Sand & Gravel filter is still not running well. We've handled the O ring issue and we've installed a new pump, but it's obvious there is a restriction.

What fun to drain and start removing yucky grit and gravel - Not ! Apparently the media was clogged....which supposedly doesn't happen. Tractor Supply only had two 25 bags of grit, so have been sitting out back washing the old stuff and putting it back in.

To be perfectly honest, this summer the pond has brought me little enjoyment and loads of work and worry. If I knew someone who'd take good care of my koi, I think I'd give them to them. Hubby ( who always reminds me the pond is my thing ) was horrified to say I'm ready to throw in the towel.

Had to take a break as a huge storm has rolled in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@j.w a simple pond with gold fish sounds heavenly about now. I got all the media washed and bak in the filter, it seems to be running well, but we'll see how long that lasts.

I sat down on the pond's edge to feed them and Cha Cha came right up to feed from my hand...melted my heart.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I moved a small shrub to the front yard today to replace the worst plant in people's yards: hostas. Then, I walked over to the other side of the house and kneeled down to pull a few weeds. I was there about 45 seconds, and I kept noticing bugs near my face but I assumed it was just a hover fly so I didn't pay much attention to it.

In reality, I was kneeling down less than a foot away from a yellow jacket nest and I was seeing them fly out of the nest right past my face. Yikes. I got out of there quickly. Luckily I didn't get stung. I'll have to stay away from there the rest of the year.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol all my hostas have become deer food.

In my yard the yellow jacket nest would be deleted. They can kill a bee hive.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I spent all morning tearing apart my Savio waterfall filter. The weir was leaking and the inflow pipe was in danger of coming apart. Hard piped the new inflow and replaced gasket on the weir. Got it all back together and plugged the pump back in. Major leak from the gate valve drain! I'm guessing when the filter got moved to work on it the valve got damaged. Gotta love Amazon, new valve will be here tomorrow! More pvc glue fumes to deal with!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I saved a young squirrel. My cat pharaoh caught it just as I got home, and while I applaud his hunting, he needs to get the mice, not creatures in trees. So I saved it. Not quite a baby, it’s not an adult. I’ll be keeping it at least 24 hrs to see if it’s got any wounds from the cat, treat any if i can, and hopefully let it go. My hubby named it Scrat! The squirrel rat from Ice Age. This thing just wants to hide. I’ve put water, a dish of bird seed, some peanut butter, in my rabbit hutch with a few hiding places for it. I’ll let it recover, then try to check it again.

Attachments

• 13608EC1-ADF3-4BEC-A244-32CF4F10DBB6.jpeg
    13608EC1-ADF3-4BEC-A244-32CF4F10DBB6.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 71
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It’s stull very scared, but I snuggled him into a knit cap, tucked that in my shirt, and took a nap to warm him up through the shock. Trying to get him to eat and drink, he’s calm in my hands aside from a very strong desire to hide. I don’t know if he’ll be good to release tomorrow due to his shyness, but I hope so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was able to get him to go up the tree today. Scary humans with all their noises and smells had him hiding in his little hood I put in there for him, he wouldn’t come out, and only nibbled at a few honey but Cheerios I put in with him. I had to prompt him to leave, but when I did he was gone! He tried to stay hidden in the cap till I showed him the tree, flipped the cap to not cover him, then he put a paw out. A little jiggle of the cap and off he went!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hiding from the heat...............again. The water mint is growing everywhere! Right now leaving it alone since it is covered with flowers and the bees are going crazy over the flowers.

Did snap one picture though while checking the fish and ponds.
IMG_3599.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Good news bad news. Bad news, spent last night at the ER w dad as he was having pain in the abdomen that made me think appendix issues, they say kidney stones, take ibuprofen. Um, kidney stones don’t typically present with lower right abdominal pain that increases when pressure is let up, so I’ll be monitoring him closely. Good news, i got to actually touch my future cat. A little stray torti calico was dumped off a few months ago, and I’ve seen her a few times, and finally we are at a point at home I can bring her home with me. Been trying to feed her food that’s not sold at end of night, I’ll be bumping that up to cat food soon, and working on gaining her trust more, so she doesn’t flinch when I touch her. Then I’ll bring her home, break her of bad habits, get her comfy, and hope she catches all the mice!

Ask a Question