j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@JamieB Oh darn on kidney stones for you dad. I have had them several times and passed them and saved them so I knew for sure it was kidney stones. I had pain on either side when I had them. It is horrible pain sometimes depending how big they are and if they get stuck. I drink lemon juice every day now for years right before dinner and have not had one since. Doc said if I didn't want to change my diet then drink the lemon juice forever,lol!

Hope you can catch little kitty and make her a nice home.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
A friend and I went crayfish hunting yesterday and took along two nets made for catching. Heard of a lake across Puget Sound that was supposed to be full of them. Had to take the ferry over there and spent hours trying but no luck. Still had a lot of fun out there swimming in the lake and a guy that was fishing gave us a couple fish. Sailor the dog loved swimming. She's crazy for water!

Deer Lake
IMG_9320.JPG

IMG_9327.JPG

My friend swimming out to check the traps
IMG_9321.JPG

We shall be trying other places closer to home as there have to be some out there somewhere either in the creeks or lakes around here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
A friend and I went crayfish hunting yesterday and took along two nets made for catching. Heard of a lake across Puget Sound that was supposed to be full of them. Had to take the ferry over there and spent hours trying but no luck. Still had a lot of fun out there swimming in the lake and a guy that was fishing gave us a couple fish. Sailor the dog loved swimming. She's crazy for water!

Deer Lake
View attachment 124467

View attachment 124469

My friend swimming out to check the traps
View attachment 124468

We shall be trying other places closer to home as there have to be some out there somewhere either in the creeks or lakes around here.
Come check my creeks. This was a good year for them here with all the flooding. I caught 2 small ones thinking my turtle may eat them, instead they ate his fish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Happy hubby birthday!

We head to the market, only 4 left on saturday, 3 left on wednesday. Then put everything away! Yeah! Mentally done by this time of year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh boy! Catching up with all your busy-ness!

@JBtheExplorer - I would have been tempted to just crawl right under that train! And why are hostas the worst plant? What did I miss?

Everyone avoiding the wasps and hornets and yellow jackets at this time of year, and there's @j.w helping them out with their nest building! We have a big paper wasp nest under the eave on the garage - trying to decide to leave it or deal with it. I'd be tempted to leave them be, but we're worried that they can get inside the house from where they are building right through the soffit.

So pretty out this morning... low 50s and clear as a bell. Loving this time of year when things are slowing down and we can mostly just enjoy. We're still mowing the grass, which is odd for us. Normally we get most of July and August off as it gets too hot and dry for grass to grow... not this year! But otherwise the gardens are just taking care of themselves. It's been a big year for cucumbers, so I may get some pickles fermenting today. First flush of tomatoes are done - we'll see if this second batch gets a chance to get ripe.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Lisak1 I too thought the same on the train but I thought of going over the coupling instead of under as I would not get squished that way, maybe jolted around but still in one piece hopefully.

Yep I'm the crazy one trying to keep every critter safe and then suffering the consequences. What do they say? No good deed goes unpunished,lol.

We are mowing the weeds, all the grass is brown but as soon as Fall gets here the rains will return and all will be green again! They don't call us the "Evergreen State" for nothing". I think that's mostly for all the evergreen trees we have here tho.

Sounds like you have a great producing garden this year!

Dirt work here today. Neighbor has and extra huge pile and we can use it to fill in a ditch partly for easier mowing.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer And why are hostas the worst plant? What did I miss?

They're highly invasive - not in the usual way, but because of their relationship with humans. Spreading rapidly across the U.S. by humans who are planting them everywhere. Hard to find yards without them around here. Even found around businesses and in some parks.

What makes it significantly worse is that they have very little ecological value outside of its native range. Basically none. They aren't host plants to any pollinators, and are a very poor nectar source. The most meaningful part of a hosta's life is probably when its leaves decay.

I personally like the foliage of Wild Ginger better. Amazing shape, color, and velvety leaves. Combine that with something like Eastern Red Columbine and in my opinion it looks far more visually pleasing than hostas, plus significantly more important to wildlife, and just like hostas, super-easy to grow.
IMG_2228 copy.jpg IMG_2217 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My yard has no hostas! And since the bee tree fell down, no wild bees that I know of. Except the sweat bees, lots of those! Lots it Japanese beetles this year too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I got my gas station kitty! Brought her home tonight. She’s settling in nicely, and I’m a crazy cat lady again. Cause she had a companion kitty, orange about her size, maybe pregnant or with worms, bit of a belly in the orange one. This ones settling in already, happy to be safe, inside, with food and soft lovings. Very vocal, but soft meows, not loud obnoxious kinds. But she’s searched all over for her companion kitty, so that one will be coming home once I catch her.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ve named her Allegra, as it means loving and lively in Italian, and she sent me looking for allergy meds last night. It fits, a bit too well! As in, she woke us both several times needing pet and reassurance. So little sleep!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
Thank you for giving her a home! You have a wonderful heart.........i have several rescues. Don't forget her orange buddy........... :love: :love:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Cleaning pond filters and fixing the ditch dirt that all the rain messed up.
@JamieB So nice of you to save the kitty's! Hope you can catch the oj one. How are all your other cats doing? I know some were having illness issues. Hope they are all well now.

Ask a Question