Whatcha doing today?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Since I managed to sell the 7 koi I had in the tank, found 7 fry of the 10 I originally put in. Moved them to a 100 gallon tank with duck weed, still small, under 2". Used water in tank to water flower and veggie plants. Hubby wanted me to just throw away fry. Nope! Could be a great fish in there. Person who bought fish has 3 large farm ponds and looking for large koi. Wish I would have known that yesterday! Thinking could be home for my pond that is in danger of collapse.
0728200651.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It’s raining, some flooding, I haven’t gone to check the roads here, but my fb friends are posting about local flooding, and I expect that my road is going to be flooded too. Might go check later. Power went down last night for several hours, I quite enjoyed laying in the living area listening to the roads sing outside. Calm, quiet, no electronics on, just peace and nature. But I discovered that the times I thought we must have a toad inside was just sound bouncing from the one outside.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Putting bee stuff away until next nectar season. Trying to get wax and propolis off the floor. Which we will eventually replace, have the flooring ready to go down in boxes down there.

Darn hot again. Really need weeds to just die and go away i.e. winter lol.

A new neighbor is a landscaper. I talked to him about hiring a crew in the fall (when they slow down) to come in and do a heavy cut back. My hands just can't handle some of that work anymore, sucks but it is life.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hot and humid here.......I don't enjoy being out in the heat of the day. We have contractors coming tomorrow to begin demo on our upstairs hallway, so have to empty it this evening. We had a plumbing accident and have an insurance claim for the first time in our lives!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Watching the Mario Marathon on Twitch. I've watched this group raise money by playing mario games each year for the past 11 years. They've raised something like $660,000 over the years for a charity that provides books and games to children in hospitals. Just in the last 24 hours, they've raised another $23,000!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Playing with the bees, had to buy another queen, the queen we had was a funky layer. She had her head chopped off.

And it RAINED! We needed it really bad, grass was dry and crunchy .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Playing with the bees, had to buy another queen, the queen we had was a funky layer. She had her head chopped off.

And it RAINED! We needed it really bad, grass was dry and crunchy .
I’d share some of our rain!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
On that note, I’m sitting in the living room, trying to adjust to the schedule I’ll be on back at work. So trying to sleep during the day, 9am to 5pm would be ideal for me.
Anyway, I heard one of the jacked up trucks out playing on the road. When I think it over, they cost us all by doing so. So many think playing on muddy roads doesn’t harm anyone else. But; 1) the folks who have to travel on those roads every day now have increased fuel and repair costs. The folks that are providing your fuel, your medical services, staff the store you shop at, any one of them could live out on the dirt road that “just playing” just tore up. 2) the farmers who provide your food now have to raise their costs to cover the increased fuel cost from getting stuck, and making repairs. 3) road repair costs go up across the whole county to cover the cost of the crews that have to bring out rock and lay it down and maintain them. Lord knows, out here the river does enough damage, having folks come out to play and tear it up more just irks me. I’ve had several flat tires, replaced my shocks, had to repair oil leaks, and even helped others with flat tires, all due to road conditions. So far, I’ve only missed work due to extreme flooding, but I’ve almost wrecked several times while trying to navigate slick roads around ruts my car would get stuck in, ruts left not by farmers, but by town kids out playing. The other part of the rant is the town kids that like to play in fields, or try picking the corn with out paying the farmer. I came home over a month ago to find dad and the neighbor watching his field for the ones tearing it up to sneak out. That’s someone’s livelihood. Crushing his crop so you can sling mud, or stealing corn from a roadside field, both steal money from that farmer. Farming is expensive, and it’s getting worse, where knowing what to plant and praying for a good harvest makes the difference between that man being able to feed his kids, or having to sell the land either to one of the big gmo conglomerates, or for development. Land isn’t cheap, and more and more gets developed for housing and stores and covered in asphalt and concrete every day. We need the farms to succeed, the farmers need to turn enough profit to want to stay at their job and not go get a desk job. I’ll stop my rant before I get going too much, but it’s bugging me. I think of it as comparable to someone taking a jack hammer to another’s driveway and robbing their fridge.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Spent a little time weeding my newest native garden section. I'm surprised how few weeds I've had to deal with. I pulled a round of clover earlier in the year. Now I just have some crabgrass here and there. I think heavily seeding quick-growing plants like Black-eyed Susans and Hoary Vervain really helped out-compete many weeds. Will be interested in seeing how it'll look next year when many of the black-eyed susans die off and the second-year blooming species will begin.

IMG_2511 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Do the black eyed Susan's not come back? Mine self sowed,all over my yard but not in the beds I had them in.
Black eyed Susans are all members of the Rudbeckia genus. Some are perennial, some biennial, some annual. It all depends on which species you have, as to whether they return from the root, or just reseed (which they all are good at!)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Do the black eyed Susan's not come back? Mine self sowed,all over my yard but not in the beds I had them in.

My Black Eyed Susan's always come back and they did again this year..................but the bunnies ate them all the way to the ground,grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :oops:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Black Eyed Susan's
Mine come back, the bees love them, I am HIGHLY allergic to them, those tiny hairs on the stems.

We just got back, had to go to the marina to get ready for the hurricane/tropical storm. They are predicting a surge, i.e. the water in the bay and the rivers will rise. Unsure of how high. We had to tie the boat to keep it off the pilings, off the dock, but with long enough ropes that it could rise with the incoming water.

We asked others what to do, since our other boats lived on the land, not in the water. We doubled up on ropes, put on some more stringers, checked that no matter which way it got blown it would not crash into the dock. Also put up more bumpers and turned off any power, except for a few light circuits, they will cut off power if the water rises to the bottom of the dock.

We would ride the storm out, but with two small pups that is not the best thing to do.

Ask a Question