Where is everyone getting their rocks from?

Tai

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hello

FINALLY AFTER LIKE 5 YEARS I FINISHED THE POND!!!! But I don't want to share pictures until I have the rock scape figured out. I am wondering where everyone buys their rocks from? I don't want to put any in the pond and I am not talking about those tiny pebbles, I need rocks the size of bowling balls to baseballs.

I know they can be purchased at land scape places, however I really want quite a lot of rocks and don't want to spend 1000 on rocks.

Any ideas of places that I may have not yet thought of?

Thabk you

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry, can't help you there. We have to buy our rocks in Louisiana......

Some members pick theirs up on the side of the road, or are fortunate enough to either dig them up or know of someone with rocky property. Maybe river beds or lakes....? But I'd check local laws before I took anything from Mother Nature -- there are places that make it illegal to removed rocks.

You could also check want ads and/or Craigslist -- or post on Craigslist. Good luck! I love rocks! Just wish they weren't so darn hard to come by!

Tai

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sorry, can't help you there. We have to buy our rocks in Louisiana......

Some members pick theirs up on the side of the road, or are fortunate enough to either dig them up or know of someone with rocky property. Maybe river beds or lakes....? But I'd check local laws before I took anything from Mother Nature -- there are places that make it illegal to removed rocks.

You could also check want ads and/or Craigslist -- or post on Craigslist. Good luck! I love rocks! Just wish they weren't so darn hard to come by!

How ironic is it that we literally live on an enormous gigantic rock and yet we can't find rocks.....makes me laugh sometimes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ours came from a beach in Devon when we used rocks in our 6 ft x 2 ft x 2.5ft indoor koi setup and like you its taken nigh on five years to get near to finishing

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Endless supply of free rocks around here
What I don't have enough of, is the time to go and get them all!
It really boils down to your geographic location.

If the rocks serve a functional purpose, then I'll find time to go and get them. If it's for ornamental purposes, it's pretty far down on my priority list.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A1 Rock, Hwy 67, Cedar Hill, Tx. If you leave toady you should be here by the time they open up om Monday.

Here, if you want trees, you have to plant them. Here, if you want good soil you have to buy it. Here, if you want rocks, yes, you guessed it, you have to buy them.

:cool:
We have at least 2 places that I know of that sell rocks. And what they charge is unbelievable. There are different "bins" with different prices/pound.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We bought our stones/rocks for the pond border at a local garden store. They sell them by the pallet or by weight but since we didn't have any to start with we had to buy a full pallet. I don't recall how much it cost but I know if was over $100 probably closer to $200

The smaller round stones we use around the pond area we get by the bag at Home Depot or Lowes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here in Utah the dept of natural resources sells permits to go pick up rocks in various remote locations throughout the state. The permits are about $10-$15 for all you can carry in the bed of a pick-up. They tell you what types, colors of rocks are found in each location and give you permit with a map providing directions on how to get there. The rest is up to you.

Not sure if Canada has anything like that, but it is a great deal here.
http://geology.utah.gov/apps/landscape_rock/index.html

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here in Utah the dept of natural resources sells permits to go pick up rocks in various remote locations throughout the state. The permits are about $10-$15 for all you can carry in the bed of a pick-up. They tell you what types, colors of rocks are found in each location and give you permit with a map providing directions on how to get there. The rest is up to you.

Not sure if Canada has anything like that, but it is a great deal here.
http://geology.utah.gov/apps/landscape_rock/index.html
That's pretty cool!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We had a lot of rocks on our property, and we bought a few nice slabs, for water fall area and skimmer cover. Ironically, I leave the one on the skimmer, off, these days, as it's heavy to move it on and off - LOL !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Check with local stone masons, they sometimes will have their leftover fill stone and will give a deal to get rid of them. Some people also want to get rid of stone walls, check around on online sites in your area. I got all the stone for my pond from a wall the owner no longer wanted.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
For our first small pondless waterfall, we used rocks that I had been collecting for years. Literally. For 20 years I had scouted the surrounding areas for every lovely rock I could find. My kids used to bring me rocks they would find when they were out playing in the neighborhood. (Our subdivision is built on an old tree farm, so we have lots of rocks around if you want to go find them.) So when we decided to build the waterfall, we used up every rock I had collected - and then had to go buy more. For certain areas of the rock-scape, we choose particular rocks for their size, shape or color. That was fun!

Then came the pond. We bought every rock that went into the pond. Some we hand picked. Others we bought by the pallet or the truckload. And it was pricey. But every day I'm reminded that it was totally worth it when I can sit and relax by my lovely pond! If we had tried to collect all those rocks, it would have taken 250 years!

Ask a Question