Where is everyone getting their rocks from?

Tai

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
my pond is 25x35 with a 20 foot stream. We brought in about 100 yards of brown dirt to build the berm for the waterfall and stream so i used rock there too. The rock was expensive but i don't think i would have been anble to gather enough to ever finish. Here is a picture showing most of the pond, water fall and berm.

Now THAT is a pond!!!! Looks excellent, yes MUCH bigger than mine. About 66% larger in all directions and no streams. It sucks because I have this hiking trail I go on and when you go past a few trees, there is a stream that empties on to the main river. Anyways, the stream is LOADED with rock, I mean like literally billions of rocks everywhere, the stream is narrow but the rock bed is huge!!

YA, Kijiji is a bust most of the time.

Oh totally! Even the automobile section sucks. All these dealers getting to the good deals first! Kijiji was way more fruitful when it was small and unkown.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
I live in edmonton!

Hey that makes both of us! I can also equally be both smart and an ass! I appologize for misunderstanding your post, I thought you were being snarky and sarcastic over my question but I now realize you were poking fun at your own situation (exactly like mine as well).

Just to note: It is actually Tai not Tia...I am a guy lol.

EDIT: I also want to thank you for the clarification! I appreciate you not choosing to turn the situation into a negative one!!

Sorry about the name. Tai, in some situations there are alternatives to rock. If will provide photos I may be able to respond with an attractive ideas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
a national forest is a mile away. you are allowed to gather rocks for personal use. i go to a seasonal streambed to get wide variety of naturally-tumbled rocks. soak in wheelbarrow and scrub dirt off with stiff brush. is work, but i have more time than money, and it is a labor of love.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
here is pix of my 4' waterfall. rocks from stream in forest. (yeah, i cheated: used black natural slate tile for flat lip of falls. had some left over from a house project.)

Attachments

• IMAG1477~01.jpg
    IMAG1477~01.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 159

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
here is pix of my 4' waterfall. rocks from stream in forest. (yeah, i cheated: used black natural slate tile for flat lip of falls. had some left over from a house project.)
Looks quite natural.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hey I know I'm late to the rock party here but I'm in the process of gathering free rocks for my small pond. I don't think anyone mentioned construction sites? I'm working on a new home and the whole excavation process laid bare tons of rocks. The builder has no problem with me taking as many as I can.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey I know I'm late to the rock party here but I'm in the process of gathering free rocks for my small pond. I don't think anyone mentioned construction sites? I'm working on a new home and the whole excavation process laid bare tons of rocks. The builder has no problem with me taking as many as I can.
I checked a few of those, the rocks where just our normal mush shale rocks, nothing that would work

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
I checked a few of those, the rocks where just our normal mush shale rocks, nothing that would work
Do your shale rocks happen to be white or possibly gray? I've got a extremely heavy and picturesque one that is mottled white. Over time rain has a bit of an smoothing effect on this big one but on more ordinary shale rocks causes them to flake apart and like you described, be mushy.

Reaction score
My problem isn't where to find them but how to get rid of them! As waynefrcan mentioned check the farms around you or try Craigslist. Are you anywhere near Westren NY?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't think anyone mentioned construction sites?

Yup - when I said I collected rocks around our subdivision for YEARS it was from all the new construction. I had my eye on a beautiful boulder in the lot behind us, but they came and buried it before I could figure out how to get it out! I still mourn that beauty...

Ask a Question