Where is everyone getting their rocks from?

Tai

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Endless supply of free rocks around here
What I don't have enough of, is the time to go and get them all!
It really boils down to your geographic location.

If the rocks serve a functional purpose, then I'll find time to go and get them. If it's for ornamental purposes, it's pretty far down on my priority list.

Gosh I wish I lived closer! You are about 3-4 hours away from where I live. I gotta go and check down by the saskatchewan river.

A1 Rock, Hwy 67, Cedar Hill, Tx. If you leave toady you should be here by the time they open up om Monday.

Here, if you want trees, you have to plant them. Here, if you want good soil you have to buy it. Here, if you want rocks, yes, you guessed it, you have to buy them.

:cool:

Not sure if you are intending to be a smart a** or it is just coming off like that. I obviously realize that I can buy them, however it is very cost prohibitive to me to do so and therefore was looking for smart sources that people have found theirs. Asking a masonry person is just one of those smart sources (thanks to the member who mentioned that).

Here in Utah the dept of natural resources sells permits to go pick up rocks in various remote locations throughout the state. The permits are about $10-$15 for all you can carry in the bed of a pick-up. They tell you what types, colors of rocks are found in each location and give you permit with a map providing directions on how to get there. The rest is up to you.

Not sure if Canada has anything like that, but it is a great deal here.
http://geology.utah.gov/apps/landscape_rock/index.html

This is a brilliant idea, I wish we had that here but unfortunately we do not. I live in a very colonized area, it would take a few hour drive to find any areas that had a lot of rock laying around. Most land here has been either used for farms or cities. We have probably around 200 small towns all around the city.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Guess I will keep a lookout for someone online who is getting rid of rocks.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Tia,
I consider myself smart and at times I am also an ass but I do not make it my practice to combine those two traits on this forum. For my perceived mockery of your question I sincerely apologize. In hindsight it would have been better to provide a straight forward answer. There is no way you could know that my comments were aimed at our areas lack of natural materials. Rest assured Ms. Tia, I shall endeavor to be of better and more polite assistance to you. Happy ponding!

Lou

Last edited:

Tai

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Where are you located, Tai?

I live in edmonton!

Tia,
I consider myself smart and at times I am also an ass but I do not make it my practice to combine those two traits on this forum. For my perceived mockery of your question I sincerely apologize. In hindsight it would have been better to provide a straight forward answer. There is no way you could know that my comments were aimed at our areas lack of natural materials. Rest assured Ms. Tia, I shall endeavor to be of better and more polite assistance to you. Happy ponding!

Lou

Hey that makes both of us! I can also equally be both smart and an ass! I appologize for misunderstanding your post, I thought you were being snarky and sarcastic over my question but I now realize you were poking fun at your own situation (exactly like mine as well).

Just to note: It is actually Tai not Tia...I am a guy lol.

EDIT: I also want to thank you for the clarification! I appreciate you not choosing to turn the situation into a negative one!!

Last edited:

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My passed grandfather had a farm about 45 minutes from Edmonton. HE always said he was rock rich lol. Just go out of town and ask some farmers, you might get them for free the field stone.

Tai

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My passed grandfather had a farm about 45 minutes from Edmonton. HE always said he was rock rich lol. Just go out of town and ask some farmers, you might get them for free the field stone.

I think I will do this, however finding farmers can be a little hard because I never knoe where the houses are on their 800 acre plus land.

My 2 best bets are online from people and going to an area of the saskatchewan river.

I know of an area LOADED with beautiful rocks. Sadly it is quite difficult to get to both by foot and impossible by car.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Burnco west of Edmonton has the best selection and cheapest prices if you have to buy. Some nice and cheap great looking BC Rocky mountain rustic, Cranbrook rustic boulders and Rocky Mountain silver quartz I used from them.

Last edited:

Tai

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Right or kijiji maybe?

EVERYTIME I find a good free rock pile on kijiji, someone has already take it, or the owner never puts a number and therefore doen't reply to email ether!!

Burnco west of Edmonton has the best selection and cheapest prices if you have to buy. Some nice and cheap great looking BC Rocky mountain rustic, Cranbrook rustic boulders and Rocky Mountain silver quartz I used from them.

I will check there for sure, will give them a call and compare!

Thank you

Reaction score
We are fortunate enough to have a rock slide area about a one minute drive from our home.
full

Of course it's still a lot of work hauling them home and placing them around the pond.
full

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
If there are dirt logging roads near your area you can check along the side of the roads. The best rock picking time is after they grade to smooth them. I got alot of small to mid size rock that way. The suggestion from farmers is also a great option. I had gotten fieldstone that way many years ago for a rock garden. When my son and I built our pond I called a local pond builder and asked where he got his rock. He ordered fieldstone for some of his builds from a small road building company and he offered to order rock for me at his cost. I think the 22 ton of rock cost me $1,200 or $1,300 which was about 35.00 per ton cheaper than the nearby quarry or garden center. The rock wasn't cleaned like you get at the gardens centers so we needed to clean off the mud and clay before it went in the pond. With the size of my pond, I think I would still be gathering if i had to find it along the road. Best of luck in your search for treasures.

Tai

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
We are fortunate enough to have a rock slide area about a one minute drive from our home.
full

Of course it's still a lot of work hauling them home and placing them around the pond.
full

Haha how ironic, you have this enormous pile of rock but choose to make most of the pond out of brick. I would be so happy of I found a pile like that!!

If there are dirt logging roads near your area you can check along the side of the roads. The best rock picking time is after they grade to smooth them. I got alot of small to mid size rock that way. The suggestion from farmers is also a great option. I had gotten fieldstone that way many years ago for a rock garden. When my son and I built our pond I called a local pond builder and asked where he got his rock. He ordered fieldstone for some of his builds from a small road building company and he offered to order rock for me at his cost. I think the 22 ton of rock cost me $1,200 or $1,300 which was about 35.00 per ton cheaper than the nearby quarry or garden center. The rock wasn't cleaned like you get at the gardens centers so we needed to clean off the mud and clay before it went in the pond. With the size of my pond, I think I would still be gathering if i had to find it along the road. Best of luck in your search for treasures.

Good suggestions! I will have to leave the city and try searching surrounding areas. I am sure it can't be as hard as I think it is to find rock on this giant rock we live on.

I think your pond is probably bigger, but $1200-$1300 is still VERY cost prohibitive to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
my pond is 25x35 with a 20 foot stream. We brought in about 100 yards of brown dirt to build the berm for the waterfall and stream so i used rock there too. The rock was expensive but i don't think i would have been anble to gather enough to ever finish. Here is a picture showing most of the pond, water fall and berm.

Attachments

• 0601110737.jpg
    0601110737.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 162

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
EVERYTIME I find a good free rock pile on kijiji, someone has already take it, or the owner never puts a number and therefore doen't reply to email ether!!

I will check there for sure, will give them a call and compare!

Thank you
YA, Kijiji is a bust most of the time.

Ask a Question