Which one would you pick if you could only have one?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I have been trying to get a TRUE Japanese koi for the last few months, I wanted a high quality Shiro Utsuri. The buyer that is in Japan has been sending me pictures all week. Out of over 60 fish we have narrowed the final three down to these. Some fish were better quality but way out of my budget, some fish were not the overall look I was looking for. ETC. ETC. Anyway, I now have just over 24 hours to make my final decision and this is the final three cut. One is about 1/2 the price of the other two, But one of the other two is standing out as my #1 pick. So I have decided to get GPF family and another site TPF involved in this final choice. If you could only pick one and no chance at changing your mind, Which one would you pick and why.

Attachments

• SSC_0178_177Ojiya.JPG
    SSC_0178_177Ojiya.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 474
  • SSC_0206_202Isawa.JPG
    SSC_0206_202Isawa.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 545
  • SSC_0199_198Ojiya.JPG
    SSC_0199_198Ojiya.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 480
Reaction score
I do not even know what a true Japanese koi is, let alone a Shiro Utsuri. That said, I would pick the third. I do not care for the middle at all. I like the open face of the first, but overall I like the crispness of the third the best.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Keep the votes coming! This is getting quite interesting. Additionally I have decided to make this a public vote, I'm putting the vote up on three sites. This way everyone can get involved. Watch her grow. and each of us gets to see how she develops. Possibly evening help name her. This should be fun and also educational for those that would like to learn more about picking a koi for quality. If anyone would like to learn more about the choices and follow along here is a link to Koiphen and the trip of finding our new friend. http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?135172-Tokyo-Ojiya-Isawa-Bound-PSKoi-Winter-2013

Reaction score
I'd pick #3 depending on age and wasn't too expensive. #1 too little black on head, #2 too much and I like fat Koi and not the indent on the tail tube. Maybe #2 is male? Bottom line is the best one is which one makes you happy since I assume this isn't for showing or breeding.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
No these aren't for showing except for club meetings or breeding unless it just happens to breed in a flock spawn.
Several people have noticed that #1 could form the lightning bolt through the face. #2 is my wife's #1 pick along with the buyer. and this is the cheaper of the three. I'm kind of pulling for #3 as well. I like all three and this gal will be a step in the learning of keeping a little higher grade koi. The few Shiro's I have seen around here just were not quality fish at all and I really wanted one that was a clean black and white and no smudgy look, I also wanted a fish that would develop an even shiro and not a ugly yellow or faded haed cape. I think they are ugly.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Just got through discussing the choices with the buyer, I've been tallying the votes and it appears #2 is about to be the chosen one. My choice #3 is coming in last in the votes, and #2 is the one my wife and I like the least. I only have a short while to make my final choice so that it can be secure before the buyer leaves Japan. Plus a added bonus, the buyer has agreed to drop the price on # 2 if I choose it as he is there at the farm where this fish is located and we can finish the deal in a short time with him. If I pick either of the other two the price remains firm and is twice the price of fish #2 because he has to pay more plus revisit that farm just to secure my koi, if he can avoid doing this it will free up about two-three hours this afternoon to allow him to make some other stops before returning home.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So what did you do? I like the coloring of #2, but not being a koi person that is just what my eyes are telling me, no knowledge of good koiness

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
A toss up between numbers one and three, numbers two has har to much sumi where the other two have the undeveloped sumi still to come out.
what size are they ?
Too much sumi when young leads to it fading in later life and as such is no good, I like the fact that in number one there is a streak waiting to come out.....I think it rather cool ...
We personally like the Ki Utsuri ( for those that dont know yellow and black), but as of yet Val hasnt found one thats just right for her .
Who's the Breeder , be aware that any koi from Japan should be heat ramped to check against the koi Herpes Virus as there have been problems since an earthquake shook the provence that koi most koi are bred in .
Heat ramping is the best way to put the koi under stress so that if the koi has KHV it will bring it on thus saving your other fish from coming down with it and seeing as KHV has an 80% mortality rate you dont want to make that mistake, it is also a notifiable Virus that you must infom the Authories about should your koi come down with it
To heat ramp you must rapidly over a number of days raise and lower the temperature of your Quarentine unit by quite a few degrees up to around about 24c I'm sorry to say this is the only way to do things .
I recently had a dear friend in South Africa suffer this, with the loss of all his koi., a collection I might add built up over many years.
He was heart broken.but has since started again after nuking everythng from the pond through to his nets in a powerful disinfectant .
KHV is a very real threat.
Recently a world famous breeder in Japans koi became infected a great loss of face , after ringing his agents around the globe to inform them of this he left his office and sadly shot himself in the head so very very sad ........

rgrds
Dave

Ask a Question