Winter pictures 2013

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by addy1, Dec 9, 2013.

1. addy1

Neo Nick

Thanks! the small trees are tomato cages with lights. :)

Neo, Dec 23, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. addy1

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Neat idea!

addy1, Dec 23, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. addy1

Neo Nick

I went a little crazy with them, There are 8 all together.

1463171_3819295457217_1400436675_n.jpg

Neo, Dec 23, 2013
  4. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

That is really a cool idea Neo on the tom cages [​IMG]
    The ice is really pretty on those trees. Nature makes some nice artwork and it's all free [​IMG]

j.w, Dec 23, 2013
    Neo and addy1 like this.
  5. addy1

CountryEscape

I'm not positive on any of them, Mitch. One is for the horse water trough, and has 2 large 6" thick pieces of concrete on top, with very small crack between the two pieces, not wide enough for me to drop anything in there to test depth. One is for the house, and they "capped" it 6' down, with only 6" pipe above the ground, and can't drop anything down there either, it will get tangled with the electric and water lines. And third is covered with a 6" thick piece of concrete with no hole on top! Why do you say it's a lot to look after? I don't do anything with my wells. Well, when I bought the house, I tried to pour bleach down the main well, but thinking the house also pulls for the 3rd well (just behind house) and since I can't treat that one, I had no way to do so. There are 2 water lines coming into the basement, both are turned on to pull water. Not sure how to check which line goes to which well! Guess I could turn on the water, shut one line, and run outside and listen for the pump to be running. Assume pump is in the bottom of each well. :blueflower:
    Oh, and all of my wells, like Sissy said, are shallow wells, 3' wide, so probably not more than 50' or so. The ground water level is very close to the surface, as is evident in my barn, which the previous owner dug out the stalls, but never filled them back in, so dug down about 18-24", and water literally stands there year round. Only time it is totally dry is if no moisture for couple of months. I need to backfill them, but have not gotten to that project. LOL

CountryEscape, Dec 24, 2013
  6. addy1

CountryEscape

JB, I see your must be a professional photographer, spotted your name on the first photo! Wondered, as your pics are just outstanding! MT, loved that last pic, with the sun shining on it. And, Neo, beautiful ice pics. We had ice storm couple of years ago, and it caused lots of havoc, but it certainly made for some unbelievably beautiful pics.

7. addy1

CountryEscape

callingcolleen1, mtpond and j.w like this.
  8. addy1

Wow how neat CE, just beautiful!

Here is a little Christmas video for you all.................of course of my favorite "daughter" The people I met while walking our neighborhood, a mile away, are the ones that are going to help me with the bees. They have been doing bees for 18 years I took some bee stuff over to them I made for them and bought for their hives. Purged our freezers of all sorts of carb and too much sugar foods (they have 5 sons, the kids loved the food) Sort of christmas pressie for them and lil missy went crazy..............

addy1, Dec 24, 2013
  9. addy1

sissy sissy

love the way she looks up at everyone for conformation that she is protecting everyone from that terrible train

sissy, Dec 24, 2013
    CountryEscape likes this.
  10. addy1

sissy sissy

had to play video for hubby and my dogs .peewee and puddles were barking back and the king was confused

sissy, Dec 25, 2013
  11. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

She chased and chased it but never touched it,lol! You really had her going when it stopped and went in reverse..............she was really making that train behave itself :biggrin:

j.w, Dec 25, 2013
  12. addy1

Missy goes crazy when I play the video, she barks at it, tries to attack the screen. If she even seen her picture on the screen she barks at it.

It was funny she kept trying get the train, just was not sure what to do.. Kept looking for confirmation it was ok to do what she was doing lol. Was so cute.

addy1, Dec 25, 2013
  13. addy1

CountryEscape

Awww ... loved that video! I was surprised she didn't try to grab the train, too. Good Missy!

CountryEscape, Dec 25, 2013
  14. addy1

callingcolleen1 mad hatter

So Did Little Missy Pup get the train for Christmas, or did Meanie Mommy or Daddy get the train just to torture poor little Missy!!! Ha ha ha :)

callingcolleen1, Dec 25, 2013
  15. addy1

lol Colleen pup and I were at a friends house, our little tree is package less................. According to the kids it is a non breakable train

addy1, Dec 25, 2013
    callingcolleen1 likes this.
  16. addy1

MitchM

Our well is 360' deep and we have a lot of iron in our soil. That causes a lot of iron bacteria to build up, so we are supposed to "shock" our well annually.
    Basically get some concentrated bleach in the well and disinfect the lines and storage tanks.
    I also put in a reverse osmosis unit for our drinking water.
    Maybe you're more fortunate and don't need that. :)

MitchM, Dec 28, 2013
  17. addy1

We have no clue how deep our well is, we don't do anything except filter out the dirt and tiny black rocks. So far it has not killed me.............well think I am still here lol, and I drink tons of water.

addy1, Dec 28, 2013
    j.w likes this.
  18. addy1

MitchM

We have a lot of attention paid to our wells here in Alberta.
    There is a TON of oil and gas drilling, along with fracking activity.
    Water quality is a big deal here. We have to have our wells registered - date drilled, who and how it was drilled, depth, water test results, and free education programs on how to care for it.
    With our booming population, the health of aquifers is constantly monitored.

MitchM, Dec 28, 2013
  19. addy1

Our well is permitted through the county. To get a record on it I need to know every owners name since the house was built. I keep thinking I should test the water, just have never done it. None of the neighbors I have spoken to say they have never tested theirs either.

I told honey we might want to pull the pump up a little to get it out of the dirt, but have not done that either. I might "push" a little now that he is retired to get it done.

addy1, Dec 28, 2013
  20. addy1

CountryEscape

In my area, you live in the country, you dig a well, or that's how it used to be. Now they put "rural water" in most areas, and you have "city water" that you have to pay for. When I bought my place, the rural water had already gone through, and the 3 houses on the mile and a half road all decided not to "join". They were all brothers at that time. If you joined, you had to pay the minimum water bill every month, even if you didn't tap into the lines. They chose not to do that. Now, if I wanted rural water, it would take an arm and a leg to get them to come back and run the line from half mile up the road to my house, plus I would have to pay a large fee (probably around $1,500). But, since the water source around here is outstanding, and lots of water in the ground, and the fact I have 3 wells, all 3' across, shallow wells, and good water, I saw no need to ask to have rural water either. I filled my ponds with my wells. Actually ran out filling the koi pond, waited until the next day, and finished filling it. The well for the horse trough, though, if I run that well dry (have done that by accidently leaving water on for hours), I have to prime the well, which is now very easy, with the new well housing, where I can go inside through the door, rather than moving the roof and shimmying in the small space from past well housing!
    But, bottom line, had house water tested before I moved, it tested too high for bacteria. So, I put bleach in, which should have fixed it, but it didn't. Now I'm thinking that I was treating Well #1, and Well #2 was likely the problem. But since that one has no way to treat with bleach, the top needs to be removed by a tractor, it has not been treated. I do need to shut off the source of that well to my house, unless run out, but never have figured that out yet! I'm very lucky to have the good quality of water I have, too.

CountryEscape, Dec 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question