j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
She chased and chased it but never touched it,lol! You really had her going when it stopped and went in reverse..............she was really making that train behave itself :biggrin:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sissy said:
had to play video for hubby and my dogs .peewee and puddles were barking back and the king was confused
Missy goes crazy when I play the video, she barks at it, tries to attack the screen. If she even seen her picture on the screen she barks at it.

j.w said:
She chased and chased it but never touched it,lol! You really had her going when it stopped and went in reverse..............she was really making that train behave itself :biggrin:
It was funny she kept trying get the train, just was not sure what to do.. Kept looking for confirmation it was ok to do what she was doing lol. Was so cute.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
callingcolleen1 said:
So Did Little Missy Pup get the train for Christmas, or did Meanie Mommy or Daddy get the train just to torture poor little Missy!!! Ha ha ha :)
lol Colleen pup and I were at a friends house, our little tree is package less................. According to the kids it is a non breakable train

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
CountryEscape said:
... Why do you say it's a lot to look after? I don't do anything with my wells. ..
Our well is 360' deep and we have a lot of iron in our soil. That causes a lot of iron bacteria to build up, so we are supposed to "shock" our well annually.
Basically get some concentrated bleach in the well and disinfect the lines and storage tanks.
I also put in a reverse osmosis unit for our drinking water.
Maybe you're more fortunate and don't need that. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have no clue how deep our well is, we don't do anything except filter out the dirt and tiny black rocks. So far it has not killed me.............well think I am still here lol, and I drink tons of water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
We have a lot of attention paid to our wells here in Alberta.
There is a TON of oil and gas drilling, along with fracking activity.
Water quality is a big deal here. We have to have our wells registered - date drilled, who and how it was drilled, depth, water test results, and free education programs on how to care for it.
With our booming population, the health of aquifers is constantly monitored.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our well is permitted through the county. To get a record on it I need to know every owners name since the house was built. I keep thinking I should test the water, just have never done it. None of the neighbors I have spoken to say they have never tested theirs either.

I told honey we might want to pull the pump up a little to get it out of the dirt, but have not done that either. I might "push" a little now that he is retired to get it done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
In my area, you live in the country, you dig a well, or that's how it used to be. Now they put "rural water" in most areas, and you have "city water" that you have to pay for. When I bought my place, the rural water had already gone through, and the 3 houses on the mile and a half road all decided not to "join". They were all brothers at that time. If you joined, you had to pay the minimum water bill every month, even if you didn't tap into the lines. They chose not to do that. Now, if I wanted rural water, it would take an arm and a leg to get them to come back and run the line from half mile up the road to my house, plus I would have to pay a large fee (probably around $1,500). But, since the water source around here is outstanding, and lots of water in the ground, and the fact I have 3 wells, all 3' across, shallow wells, and good water, I saw no need to ask to have rural water either. I filled my ponds with my wells. Actually ran out filling the koi pond, waited until the next day, and finished filling it. The well for the horse trough, though, if I run that well dry (have done that by accidently leaving water on for hours), I have to prime the well, which is now very easy, with the new well housing, where I can go inside through the door, rather than moving the roof and shimmying in the small space from past well housing!
But, bottom line, had house water tested before I moved, it tested too high for bacteria. So, I put bleach in, which should have fixed it, but it didn't. Now I'm thinking that I was treating Well #1, and Well #2 was likely the problem. But since that one has no way to treat with bleach, the top needs to be removed by a tractor, it has not been treated. I do need to shut off the source of that well to my house, unless run out, but never have figured that out yet! I'm very lucky to have the good quality of water I have, too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
addy1 said:

I told honey we might want to pull the pump up a little to get it out of the dirt, but have not done that either. I might "push" a little now that he is retired to get it done.
I'm not sure how you would do that.
Here, our water lines are pretty deep - 8 feet.
So our well has a pitless adapter drilled into the side of the well casing 8 feet down. From there the water line continues underground and under the building foundation where it comes up into our mechanical room.
If we needed to replace our well pump, we would need to unhook the adapter and pull the pump up. It's not something you can adjust the depth on.
You get freezing temperatures where you are, so I don't imagine that water lines are ok at surface level.
Even in Texas I think lines are buried around a foot or so.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
CE, you're fortunate to have so ample of water supply!
If we needed a new well here, I think the going price is about $50/drilled foot.
So for a 360' well, you're looking at more than $18,000.00 - and there's no guarantee that you'll get water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My well was done 11 years ago 450 ft deep with 1 hp pump and cost was 2500 hundred dollars and todays rate is 2800 hundred as my neighbor had to have one done last summer and it was 250 ft deep but she is down near the creek .We are the same iron in our water and we have to shock it also to clean the lines .They now sell new stuff here to do it but have not tried it yet .I use bleach .When myself and 2 other guys pulled it we tied it to the back of the truck to help in the pulling of it .We pulled ours 2 years ago after pump went out .New pump was 200 dollars and that included a shock resister .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Well drilling rates can vary with what they're drilling through. We have a lot of gravel and rock here.
Plus with all the oil and gas I'm not sure what the regulations are.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We have rock and really heavy clay soil .After you get so far down you get this really smelly black ooze that comes up .Smells like you are opening a septic tank .Here they use a drill that uses some type of sonar to locate water .Not sure how it works but it does .It cost more to use that type drilling but I figured it was worth it .The old way is 2100 dollars now so why not go with the new way .Gas here has been at 2.90 a gallon for 2 weeks now but did get down to 2.75 a couple of months ago .

Ask a Question