Winter plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is hornwart worth saving? They provided so much shade and a clearer pond. My pond is like 2500 by 38 deep. Or just clean it all our now so spring cleanup is easier?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
iT WILL SURVIVE WINTER ON IT'S OWN

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
black welcome sign.gif

Zorro 2.gif
@ZORRO815
I love Hornwort but it won't stay alive in my fish pond or my frog pond for some strange reason. When you say Spring clean up what do you do in your pond for that? You don't drain out all the water and scrub it right? My pond is about the same size as yours and sure wish that Hornwort would live. It should survive in cold temps and last all year.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a few hornwort stragglers, but what has really done well over winter has been anacharis. I am in LA, though, so we don’t get very cold winters here.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My hornwort disappears over winter, comes back in the spring. It grows like a forest. I pull a lot over the summer. Recently to keep the snakes from having a hiding spot.

Anacaris also grows great. I have a few small ponds, no fish unless a egg makes its way in, full anacharis. Great plant pond filters.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My hornwort disappears over winter, comes back in the spring. It grows like a forest. I pull a lot over the summer. Recently to keep the snakes from having a hiding spot.

Anacaris also grows great. I have a few small ponds, no fish unless a egg makes its way in, full anacharis. Great plant pond filters.
The trick w/the Anacharis must be to have a ton of it as my piggies eat it all up at first glance of it! I have some in my frog pond w/no fish in there. Hoping it grows and grows!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The trick w/the Anacharis must be to have a ton of it as my piggies eat it all up at first glance of it! I have some in my frog pond w/no fish in there. Hoping it grows and grows!
I grab it out of the fishless ponds and toss into the fish ponds.

My 1000 gallon pond is full of it. The snake ate most of the fish. The anacaris took over, a forest of it. But good I actually see fry in the pond. Joining my few surviving fish. Good baby nursey.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I grab it out of the fishless ponds and toss into the fish ponds.

My 1000 gallon pond is full of it. The snake ate most of the fish. The anacaris took over, a forest of it. But good I actually see fry in the pond. Joining my few surviving fish. Good baby nursey.
Speaking of snakes, guess they have moved on from your pond now?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Speaking of snakes, guess they have moved on from your pond now?
I hope, still on alert for them. Trap still out. If around hiding better.
Do see fry in the 1000 gallon pond. Last year I had 25 some fish, dropped to 5. Saw no fry. This year I am seeing some real nice fry.
Indicator the snake predator is less or gone.

Ask a Question