Aerator on a break

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
During one of our cold snaps, we realized our aerator had stopped, well, aerating! The pump is running, you can feel air coming out of the ports, but at the airstone end - nothing. I thought maybe the lines had frozen but today - after three days of 55 plus degrees and no ice on the pond - I turned it on again to check and still nothing. I pulled up one of the stones to see if I could feel air coming out of the line - nothing. Anybody have any idea what might have happened? Could the lines still be frozen, even though the ground is completely thawed at the surface and the pond has no ice? The lines aren't buried very deep - maybe a couple of inches under the surface, and that's mostly mulch - but this has never happened, even in much MUCH colder winters.

And part two - if this thing needs replacing, anyone have a recommendation for an aerator that you really love? We need one that can stay outside year round. I'm up for upgrading (this is an Aquascape 4 outlet model - probably cost $100 when we bought it six years ago).

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have you checked your airlines ,I had something chew 3 of mine .Holes were pretty big .Also if your pump has a filter check that

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Nope, no filter. And the actual unit seems to be functioning fine - it sounds exactly the same and the air coming out of the ports feels exactly like it should - good pressure. And I don't think the lines could be chewed. They aren't buried that deep, so we'd see if anything was digging around them. It's a mystery!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
moles and mice I think chewed mine and could not tell either until I pulled the lines up and saw all the chew marks .Mine above ground and below the gravel had been chewed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I was thinking it might be the diaphragm, but you said the air is coming out normally. If the air is coming out as it should, the problem lies somewhere in the lines, have you tried removing the stone, to see if air is coming out the hose towards the stone?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
have you tried removing the stone, to see if air is coming out the hose towards the stone?

I did - no air at the stone end at all. How would you know if it's the diaphragm? Is that in the actual pump housing?

Mine above ground and below the gravel had been chewed

Hmm... well then maybe! I didn't pull them out of the ground, but if I can't figure out what's wrong that will be the next step, so we'll see I guess!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's not the stones @Meyer Jordan - we replace those twice a year. The air isn't coming out of the hose at the stone end at all - I tested by removing the stone and sticking the end in the water. Nothing.

@Tula - I did a little reading and it sounds like it just might be the diaphragm. They say it can appear the unit is pushing air, but as you get farther from the pump it doesn't have enough pressure to go through the hose and stone so it escapes back through the bad diaphragm. Unfortunately the replacement part is almost $30 on a $90 unit - I think it's time for a new aerator.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Airstones need cleaned also but if no air comes out of the hose then it has to be the lines .I bought diaphragm repair kits when I bought mine .Better to be prepared .Is the air coming out of the pump as strong as before .Do you have check valves I had 2 of those damaged also .What one do you have mine was only 8 dollars for diaphragm

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I do think it's the diaphragm. Sounds like a common issue, actually.

So now I'm in the market for a new aerator - any recommendations? We have a four port unit now - I'd like to stick with that many at least. I'd also like one with weighted lines and air stones that clip securely on the line - I'm so done with lines that float any time my fish dislodge them and air stones that fall off when I pull the lines up. I'm not asking for too much, am I??

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
6 years old maybe not worth it ,that depends on you and your budget .Right now lots of sales on them for presidents sale 12 port laguna with metal port assembly was 149 dollars

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Also weighing the lines down is not good because it can squish the lines and make the aerator work harder .I drilled holes in rocks for the ones I want to stay on the bottom

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got mine from wayfair on ebay and you can see it on my rebuild of my pond .Pics were lost when puter died

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
webbs has aerators onsale pondmaster and laguna /Madcheeta has one on ebay but bigger than mine without original box for 98 dollars and free ship

Last edited:

Ask a Question