Ahhhh Help

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Can you add a few pics so we can see what KHV does to your koi

Reaction score
i could describe it for you cause i froze them in hopes that i can send them somewhere to be studied

some koi acted slugish, some had pine cone like skin, some had lots or no mucus, they all had a hole inbetween the right eye and the right nostril closer to thenose than the eye. um the gills also turned mostly white instead of all red

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Do you have anymore information on the source? They must also be having problems. How are the rest of yours doing?

nope dont know where they came from cause we dont order fish from just one wholesaler
actually they said that the deaths have seemed to have stopped.
um havent been home all day but this morning there were 4 more. i think some of mine are resistant to the virus.

Reaction score
Dr. Dave is totally right. That breeder/dealer has to be exposed. C2C, its very important for you to find this out because this is exactly how epidemics such as these spread. God only knows how many shops this breeder has sold to. Events like these could be the demise of many ponders fish!

This is why a quarantine tank is so important, too!

Call the university of Florida about your fish, as they are researching KHV. They will send you in the right direction with what to do.

I think you said the gills were white? I think KHV gills are a really dark purply colored....

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
Dr. Dave is totally right. That breeder/dealer has to be exposed. C2C, its very important for you to find this out because this is exactly how epidemics such as these spread. God only knows how many shops this breeder has sold to. Events like these could be the demise of many ponders fish!

This is why a quarantine tank is so important, too!

Call the university of Florida about your fish, as they are researching KHV. They will send you in the right direction with what to do.

I think you said the gills were white? I think KHV gills are a really dark purply colored....

i red that it causes necrosis of the gills and thats what it looked like. white gills becase they were not caryying blood

Reaction score
so now that im going to be restarting my pond I think im going to make a skippy style filter maybe i still dont like the fact that theres less "air time"

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You know C2 this is your most important thread you ever posted ...
Has your boss worried about it at all ? does he care about what he sells?

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Did I miss something? What air time are you referring to?

the ammount of air that comes into contact with the bio media

DrCase said:
You know C2 this is your most important thread you ever posted ...
Has your boss worried about it at all ? does he care about what he sells?

no theyve been medicating the pond and the deaths have stopped apparently

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not True? There are resistant carriers that have khv. The carriers are usually the most healthy individuals, and do not exhibit any indications of health issues. The only sure way to check for khv is to send a blood sample to the University of Georgia.

http://www.koihealth.org/koiformUG.pdf

DrDave said:
If it is KHV they will all die soon. Did you notice an indent above the nose as you looked at it sideways?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Condition of their ponds or tanks doesn't have a lot to do with it. You can have the best conditions and they can have khv. Usally comes in a shippment from a breeder.
DrDave said:
This is for everyone!
Buy your fish and plants from known sources where you can see the condition of their ponds or tanks. One infected fish with KHV will cause all your fish to die within 1 to 2 weeks.
If it is SVC, your county health department could make you remove your pond and quarantine your property until it is safe.
One of the largest breeders in California warned me about that one although I know very little about it.

Ask a Question