Ahhhh Help

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
DoDad said:
Condition of their ponds or tanks doesn't have a lot to do with it. You can have the best conditions and they can have khv. Usally comes in a shippment from a breeder.

Well if I looked into a tank or pond and saw dead and lethargic fish, I don't think I would buy. Does this explain this well enough for you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't think I would either. But I didn't see that in your post.
A dealer with pristine water can sell sick fish without the dealer and the customer knowing it. No one should say that a dealer has Khv in their establishment unless they have sent the blood sample for testing. as for all the fish dying not true.
a koi with Khv can live quite a few years while others can die in days.
I have donated monies an attended seminars on KHV, so I do know a little.
The AKCA - Project KHV has entered into an agreement with Oregon State University for a KHV Research Project as of july 22nd. I would suggest maybe you email Dr. Tim Miller-Morgan, D.V.M And ask questions about KHV (e-mail address removed)

DrDave said:
Well if I looked into a tank or pond and saw dead and lethargic fish, I don't think I would buy. Does this explain this well enough for you?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I hope she does DoDad....What happens if you do quarantine one of them, and its the one that can live a few years with it,,,the carrier. :fish2:...........a few weeks go buy and it looks ok and you let it in your pond ...and all your koi die.
Do you need to test all your new fish before they enter your waters?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
DoDad
I agree with you, however, do you really think all the dealers are going to be honest, share their results and never lie? Lets face it, buying any animal is a crap shoot. I am merely suggesting you go to the dealer and get to know them before you place any trust in them.

The c2c scenario is a classic example of how a dealer sold contaminated fish to his customer. Chances are, the dealer had some knowledge of a problem and hoped the fish would not come back to haunt him.

Not everything is stated in every post, we like to think our readers are smart enough to read between the lines or ask questions if they are in doubt. Some posts, like this one, could get very long and boring to read.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That can happen! I buy my koi from dealers that are certified in the Best Health Practices program. This certfication requires dealers and wholesalers to follow strict bio-security protocols in order to minimize the risk of spreading the Koi Herpes Virus (KHV) to hobbiests.

DrCase said:
I hope she does DoDad....What happens if you do quarantine one of them, and its the one that can live a few years with it,,,the carrier. :fish2:...........a few weeks go buy and it looks ok and you let it in your pond ...and all your koi die.
Do you need to test all your new fish before they enter your waters?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm sorry I'm so stupid in your eyes.:fish2:
DrDave said:
DoDad
I agree with you, however, do you really think all the dealers are going to be honest, share their results and never lie? Lets face it, buying any animal is a crap shoot. I am merely suggesting you go to the dealer and get to know them before you place any trust in them.

The c2c scenario is a classic example of how a dealer sold contaminated fish to his customer. Chances are, the dealer had some knowledge of a problem and hoped the fish would not come back to haunt him.

Not everything is stated in every post, we like to think our readers are smart enough to read between the lines or ask questions if they are in doubt. Some posts, like this one, could get very long and boring to read.

Reaction score
C2C, I'm glad you contacted the Univ of FL as I mentioned. They are leading the way with KHV, so am glad you managed to contact them. That was totally the right thing to do, and you should totally send that person your fish. You'd be doing a lot of the pond keeping community and for the professors studying this issue.

I'm not sure what your boss is treating the fish in your shop with? I mean, there's no KHV cure in a bottle. Do you know what they are doing to the fish?

Reaction score
DrDave said:

i thought all of the fish looked healthy that is the only reason that i bought the fish.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
DoDad
IThe c2c scenario is a classic example of how a dealer sold contaminated fish to his customer. Chances are, the dealer had some knowledge of a problem and hoped the fish would not come back to haunt him.

we all thought that it was ammonia poisoning. not KHV cause they come like 50 in a bag and theyre in the bag for a while

Reaction score
shipping is going to be the only problem. its going to cost me a lot of money. from here to Alabama is like $56 plus packing materials

they were just doing a "cure all" cause they didnt know what was wrong

koikeepr said:
C2C, I'm glad you contacted the Univ of FL as I mentioned. They are leading the way with KHV, so am glad you managed to contact them. That was totally the right thing to do, and you should totally send that person your fish. You'd be doing a lot of the pond keeping community and for the professors studying this issue.

I'm not sure what your boss is treating the fish in your shop with? I mean, there's no KHV cure in a bottle. Do you know what they are doing to the fish?

Reaction score
Did you mention that to the professor at U of FL? Perhaps they can send you a fed-ex voucher or something. Call him back and explain you want to send the fish but don't have the funds, and see if he has a solution for you.

Reaction score
if you can do this, you'd be doing a very good thing for koi fish owners everywhere! You'll be helpful in the research to help find a cure in a dreadful disease. I hope you manager to get the fish to them.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
They have to have dead fish with the virus to study first..

Ask a Question