Any campers? Need advice for a (um,) tent-potty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I would use the bushes but thats just me i guess. While at Philmont they encouraged use of the great outdoors for #1 and latrines were miles away unless you were at a site.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I was in africa, you went out in the bushes, carried a match to burn the tp.

On our boat we had a home depot bucket with a toilet seat, plastic bag, worked great. You can also buy a chemical that gels the pee, bag and throw away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I don't tent, but still "camp" lol. Before we had our trailer though we had a tent trailer or "pop up" as most Americans call it. We had one of these in it. It was very handy, easy to clean, and didn't give off any stench.
TB_porta_potty.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
While at Philmont they encouraged use of the great outdoors for #1 and latrines were miles away unless you were at a site.
I've heard about the Philmont [I think these terms are correct.....] "bombardier" and "pilot" positions, LOL! We have several troop & lodge members who have been frequent visitors to Philmont -- I love to hear their stories!

Hey here you go... The shewee so you can pee outside like a guy. :cool::cigar:
I've heard about this -- even saw a commercial for it way back when. Two problems, though: you still have to funnel the pee into something, and [it's a girl thing, you guys wouldn't understand] I have enough trouble collecting a clean-catch urine sample at my doctor's office -- there's this dexterity issue involved.....

Which reminds me.... somewhere I have a book entitled "How to Shit in the Woods". No kidding! It covers all basic bodily functions for both sexes. If you're interested.....
John
I'll have to keep my eyes open [really!] for this! Maybe it should be made available to Scouting [or is it less than proper?]

I don't tent, but still "camp" lol. Before we had our trailer though we had a tent trailer or "pop up" as most Americans call it. We had one of these in it. It was very handy, easy to clean, and didn't give off any stench.View attachment 81889
These came up often when I was searching online. I like the idea, but I need something that doesn't scream out, "MRS. MATHIS HAS A POTTY IN HER TENT!!" LOL!! I would either never hear the end of it,:oops: OR, I would start a trend (y). You never know.

On our boat we had a home depot bucket with a toilet seat, plastic bag, worked great. You can also buy a chemical that gels the pee, bag and throw away.
@addy1 OK, I'm really liking the idea of the gel-producing chemical. Where can you get something like this?

LOVE that last idea, TM! Just be sure you don't get confused between the two! :eek:
John
In all honesty, I don't think my tush would fit.... :mooning: .....in either mode.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Buckets might be the way to go, with the pool-noodle idea as a seat "cushion". I have buckets in 3 sizes; 5, 2-1/2, and 1 gal. This is a little 1 gal. bucket I use around the pond. I don't know, maybe too small, but with that size I could get away with more discreet disposal, carrying it to & from the latrine every AM, LOL! This was the size I could also use as a shower caddy [a different bucket for each purpose, though....of course]. Either that size or the 2-1/2 gal size might work. We're driving [camp's a good 12 hour drive from here -- in west Texas] and carpooling with about 30 scouts & adults. Packing space will be at a premium, but then, buckets are good for carrying stuff in when you pack (remind me to pack a can of disinfectant....).

So, maybe I need to bring a couple of buckets inside for a few nights and give them a try-out.....?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I'll have to keep my eyes open [really!] for this! Maybe it should be made available to Scouting [or is it less than proper?]

Very prim and proper, TM. "Chapter 5 For Women Only: How Not to Pee in Your Boots" would be the one to peruse. The book is 78 pages, written by Kathleen Meyer, copyright 1989, printed by Ten Speed Press, P.O. Box 7123, Berkely, California 94707. ISBN 0-89815-319-0. I've seen a few in second-hand book stores.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Philmont has pilot co-pilot but nobody uses those, it would be a bit awkward. You do get a great view of the scenery, when you wander off the trail to use a bush though. We also backpacked the East Rosebud Trail in Montana and there is nothing there. You need to remember to keeep the little orange shovel out of the ziplock bag with the TP. Scouting does give us old folks the chance to do things we would never think of doing on our own.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My husband did Philmont twice, two two weeks trips, he said it is intense. High adventure with the scouts.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks to everyone for your input! This has been a very helpful thread.

Here is what I think I'll experiment with.....
image.jpg

A combo of these 2 items. Figure I can pee in the cup-thing and aim it in the gel-filled bags. The bags do come with a built-in "pee cup," which I can try, with the other device as a backup if the built-in doesn't work. I read reviews on both products and they were all positive. Not sure what the capacity of each bag is (IOW, how many times can you use it before disposing), but I posted this question on AMAZON, and folks (who have used a product) are great about giving fast & honest answers.

Now all I have to do is "learn" to pee standing up, LOL! But I figure if I was able to master going in a wetsuit, SCUBA diving, then it can't be that hard......

Ask a Question