Bamboo?

Reaction score
Anybody use bamboo as framing plant for falls/pond? I was planning to use clumping type but wanted to ask you experts before I took this route :bowdown:

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had some bamboo grass that only got about 2 and half fee tall but took it out. It didn't grow real wide but just spread it's seed everywhere and threw up new plants.

Reaction score
The spreading is what I'm afraid of.... Want something to screen an above ground pool that's located at the top of my falls/filter area....

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards
jwright said:
Anybody use bamboo as framing plant for falls/pond? ...

I have used bamboos as framing... NOT for the pond-purpose, but for mmm good veggies and melons. You should try! :bowdown::cool:
DSC01822.jpg

DSC01062.jpg

DSC01061.jpg

DSC01058.jpg

DSC01056.jpg

taherrmann4 said:
I had some bamboo grass that only got about 2 and half fee tall but took it out. It didn't grow real wide but just spread it's seed everywhere and threw up new plants.
jwright said:
The spreading is what I'm afraid of.... Want something to screen an above ground pool that's located at the top of my falls/filter area....

Bamboos do spread out like wild fire... Does anyone want to take some bamboos home from me, please?:lol:
DSC01835.jpg

DSC01833.jpg

DSC01832.jpg

DSC01831.jpg

DSC01829.jpg

DSC01828.jpg

DSC01827.jpg

DSC01826.jpg

DSC01825.jpg

DSC01824.jpg

DSC01823.jpg

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Jwright how tall of screen are you looking for? You could use ornamental grasses, they range in height. You do have to cut them down to the ground every February but they grow back pretty quickly and you can split them every few years. I have so many every year that need to be split that I can't find enough people to take them....

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i would be a bit worried if bamboo got under your liner because i had some near my old pond and it sent shoots right under the pond and grew up through into my pond causing a leak ... admit that liner wasnt that thick but i still didnt think it would manage to break it ... also when trying to dig up the bamboo it had the roots had spread right over my garden !

Reaction score
Taherrmann, it needs to be 5 to 6 foot tall. The pool side is 4 feet so it needs to be a little higher than that. I was looking at grasses too. I've already got a varigated privet their but it won't really provided a screen to hide the pool when looking at the falls. Trying to create the look of a spring coming out of vegitation.
Johnnie, I've used bamboo as you in the garden. It does make great stands for cuccumbers and tomatoes! I cut it and bring it into my yard so no worries about it spreading:)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They have a variety of clumping bamboo that does not spread and I understand burpee may come out with one that will have pink and white colored leaves similar to the pink willow tree I have

Reaction score
Take a look at Egyptian papyrus. It's beautiful and grows rapidly. It's sensitive to cold and will die back in the winter, but that makes it usable. It's worse than bamboo here in Florida. I tried to keep it in a pot in my water garden. It not only grew out of the pot, but first all through the pond and then out of it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have had papyrus in my pond but it seemed to never grow good .I will try it again this year because I'm not sure the other survived in the basement ,but all my other plants I put down there are growing great and pulled them out of the basement under the porch .

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Here, I have it both in and out of the pond. It grows better in good soil unlike Taro, which is just the opposite.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
so it needs better soil to grow maybe thats whats wrong not sure at first papyrus grew good and started to die put a little fertilizer in it and it started to come back but then just slowly kept dieing .Repotting did not work either

Ask a Question