Lucky bamboo, ya or na?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have read differing opinions. Is lucky bamboo appropriate in a pond as long it is in a pot?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
why not? I think it's great. They have great roots system that will help take nutrient from the water. But do they live outside in winter?

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
why not? I think it's great. They have great roots system that will help take nutrient from the water. But do they live outside in winter?
Shoots, will pierce the liner and cause trouble. Lucky bamboo itself also tends and has reports that it can poison fish.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You could always add some Horsetail, which has a bamboo-like appearance. Gets 2' to 3' tall.
IMG_0641 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. I just took it out. That Horsetail looks great, will keep my eye out for that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Shoots, will pierce the liner and cause trouble. Lucky bamboo itself also tends and has reports that it can poison fish.
I see! Didn't think of the liner! wow, I didnt know they are poisonous to fish? good to know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Bamboo of any form should not be allowed within 100 feet of a lined pond.

Yikes! Some years back we bought some non clumping bamboo from a plant nursery. About half of it didn't make it, but the other half is thriving.....at the end of our pool :eek:

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yikes! Some years back we bought some non clumping bamboo from a plant nursery. About half of it didn't make it, but the other half is thriving.....at the end of our pool :eek:
Dun...
Dun...
DUUUN

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I have lucky bamboo in my bog when temps go over 50F. They won't survive when it gets colder and I bring them in. They eat nutrients well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've never seen bamboo (likely the national plant) near or in ponds in Asia. That's a good indication why not. As mentioned above, the plant in question is "lucky bamboo" which is actually not from the real bamboo family. I've tried to grow them from time to time and they are quite finicky not like the every so invasive real bamboos.

cd2b3982b6e0c8fab0b26cafb69fa685.jpg

Ask a Question