Best way to control algae

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I would use potassium permanganate ,i know a lot of people do not like using it. But use it with caution and make sure your dose is right, or you might kill everything .
But remember PP has no discrimination in what it kills . EG : organic matter , snails "not all " , flukes etc etc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Is that to kill algae? Actually I think algae is great. It helps reduce ammonia by converting it into inert matter, it provides a food source for fish, and it provides camouflage for the fish from predators. When there is enough beneficial bacterial that is active the algae will go down by itself. When my pond cycles the string algae almost entirely disappears overnight! If the pond doesn't really cycle either there are too many nutrients like food or waste in the water, or not enough places for bb to build up, or it got too messed up with too many chemicals added. I don't feed my fish much until my pond cycles which is usually about early May and I never add chemicals or additives. The only thing I will do is frequent water changes of 10-15% in the Spring..

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Algae, because it is photosynthetic, thrives in abundant sunlight, but only if nutrient levels are sufficient to support growth. Limit the levels of these nutrients and no amount of sunlight will make algae grow.
That's funny,I've seen green water algae grow in a bucket of tapwater. Apparently it doesn't need MUCH in the way of nutrients.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That's funny,I've seen green water algae grow in a bucket of tap water. Apparently it doesn't need MUCH in the way of nutrients.
Tap water contains all the nutrients that algae need. Levels vary depending on geographical location, but all municipal water systems will register Nitrate and Phosphorus levels.
A low level is all that is needed to initiate growth. Higher nutrient levels will sustain and promote additional growth. This growth and expansion will continue as long as nutrients are available. Control the nutrients....control the growth.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Tap water contains all the nutrients that algae need. Levels vary depending on geographical location, but all municipal water systems will register Nitrate and Phosphorus levels.
A low level is all that is needed to initiate growth. Higher nutrient levels will sustain and promote additional growth. This growth and expansion will continue as long as nutrients are available. Control the nutrients....control the growth.
That's also funny. Seeing as how the tap water is the base of my pond water and is as clean as it will ever be then it goes without saying that all the nutrients necessary for algae growth are already present. You made a better point for the use of a UV clarifier then I ever could have.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That's also funny. Seeing as how the tap water is the base of my pond water and is as clean as it will ever be then it goes without saying that all the nutrients necessary for algae growth are already present. You made a better point for the use of a UV clarifier then I ever could have.

I recommend that you re-read my post. I stated "to initiate growth' not "sustain" it.
Even in an apparently clear pond, a certain level of phyto-plankton exists (and is necessary) as part of the natural food chain. Eliminate this trophic level and one is left with a food chain that will soon collapse, resulting in a dramatic reduction in predatory zoo-plankton....the natural control of parasitic pathogens.
This certainly does not support the use of a UV unit.

Ask a Question