carnivorous plant bog

Reaction score
Are they bog plants? most of the bug eaters seem to do better of they are nto sitting in water. I found mine do best of I just water them from the top every day or two. they grow far better then if they have water in their trays.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are bog plants, outside now in peat moss and sand, they only have gotten rain so far, if it gets real dry I will water them. I just had them inside waiting for warmer weather. Hoping they can survive our winter.

Reaction score
You don't want sanding water for most of the bug eaters. they can handle some but I find they do better if kept wet but with good drainage. I am giving up the trays they sat in last year.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks, I have heard they do good when they get wet then dry wet then dry type of rotation. We have had a tone of rain, will keep a eye on the water level in the bog.

Reaction score
they never want to be dry. so if they have good drainage they can be watered every day if you want. Plus most want full sun and all day if possible hotter the better too.
I have bought a few off ebay but when I can I get them from the link below they are local and really healthy plants.
http://www.cobraplant.com/
Hard to get good pics as they are just getting going. this was their first year over winter. the venus flytraps are first I have several different ones including the black/dark red ones. little butterwort is blooming the Sarracenia are just getting going one like like it will bloom. They had soem shade last year and that slowed them down. this year full sun.
photo3-13.jpg

photo4-7.jpg

photo5-4.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a good variety of the bog plants, so far they seem to be doing good. I am hoping they can stay outside over winter here. I had stuck two end of season pitcher plants in my pond bog, they were rated for zone 7. Figured they had died just saw pitchers today showing up. They are in a wet root, dry crown situation.

The carnivorous plant bogs both drain slowly. Full sun and both are in a hot spot. The sun dews are blooming right now.

Front bog garden 1000 gallon stock tank, it was going to be a lily garden, but after being put in the ground one of our neighbors dogs fell in (he is ok) couldn't get out. And way to much leaf drop. So made it into a garden.

DSC01449.jpg

Oh well shut for the night.............sundews

DSC01450.jpg

bog near the stream, it went from a 300 gallon stock tank to being made out of a tarp.

DSC01451.jpg

All my plants are young, this is my first year with a carnivorous bog.

Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE your carnivorous plants. Wow, that's something I might like to try. Enjoyed your photos tremendously.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Addy do you have any updated pics of what your carnivorous bog looks like now? Is it connected to your other bog or pond somehow?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy do you have any updated pics of what your carnivorous bog looks like now? Is it connected to your other bog or pond somehow?

i forgot about this thread, will go and take some pictures right now, not connected to the pond or pond bog. It is full of peat moss, very acidic would drive the pond ph crazy.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here you go tmann,

The front yard bog, added a false aster (blue flowers), loves wet but not as wet as the pond bog and a cardinal plant (red flowers), needed some color waiting for the plants to grow.

DSC02254.JPG

the back yard bog

DSC02257.JPG

DSC02255.JPG

sundew eating up those gnats!

DSC02256.JPG

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for the pics looks great. What is the pvc for in the bottom, is it to drain it? Do you keep it filled with water?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the pics looks great. What is the pvc for in the bottom, is it to drain it? Do you keep it filled with water?

I keep them pretty wet, then dry then wet, if it rains a lot, which has not happened they are constantly wet. The bog in front I put a hd bucket buried in it with holes in case it rains too much, so I could sump pump out some of the water. That so far has not happened.

I don't see the pvc you are referring to, which picture? are you talking about the white things? if so that is plant labels but the writing has faded, so I would know which was which.

Are those plants in the second pic called a pitcher plant?

I have a variety of pitcher plants, they are all labeled with names, supposedly permanent marker that has faded lol But yes that is one of them. Our unusual heat has been hard on them, and the fact I keep forgetting to water them as much as they prob should have been. But most are doing well.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
aww that is our house gutter drain.................that rubber maid tub 300 gallon, is now my lotus pond, that bog garden is now made with a brown home depot tarp, the drain pipe is buried.

this picture is it as the new bog, where the rubbermaid was.

DSC02255.JPG

Ask a Question