carnivorous plant bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
So how are the carnivorous plants faring? I just found a new vendor on Amazon carrying the Sarracenia Purpurea plants I've been looking for, so time to order a few and see how they do. One of my concerns is that my pond has a fairly high pH (around 8.2), so I am going to try and bury a bunch of peat moss under my gravel (why didn't I think of that yesterday???) and at least give the plants a chance at some acidity for their roots. I don't know if it will work, but one can hope...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is doing great, land bog. I have only one plant in the pond bog sarracenia rubra (I think) I picked it up two winters ago and stuck it in my pond bog. My ph stays in the 7.6 range in the pond. It has three pitchers.

The majority of my plants are in a land bog, 50/50 mix of sand and peat moss. They do like it to be around 5.5-6. This was taken a month or so ago. The land plants are making a lot more pitchers, these plants are just one season old. If it wasn't raining I would go out and get a new picture for you.

DSC03674.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks nice addy and why can't you go out...........is it still pouring down there? Geez that really helps you w/ the watering and how's your corn doing or did you lose it in those high temps?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks nice addy and why can't you go out...........is it still pouring down there? Geez that really helps you w/ the watering and how's your corn doing or did you lose it in those high temps?

two inches yesterday, so far 0.2 today.
The corn is growing great, the deer just love to munch on it............sigh Had 6 bucks out there just eating away, mid day. from a 8 pointer down to a spike buck. Oh well if any makes it we will have a ear or two to try. The deer, rabbit and ghogs are keeping the fallen apples nicely cleaned up.
Temps nice right now 68 by monday it will be up to 90's again, but at least not 100

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
2/10 of an inch.......compared to yesterday that's nothing.........ok no excuses get out there and take some picturess,lol!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol dark now....................... yeah the 2.13 inches fell in 40 minutes, it just poured.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Forgot about your earlier dark hours...........it's only 4:45 here. Kinda fun watching good pour down of rain tho don't ya think?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It was great watching, we are lucky have no flood issues here. Tons of lightening, thunder booms, no real wind. On the fish cam I could see the water swirling as the rain water rushed and the pond water rushed out, that was interesting also.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very cool! Did I understand you to say they need circulation? Is it full sun?

You mean the land bog? it is just peat moss and sand, no circulation. I have the peat moss and sand on a tarp to retain more water than just dirt would. If it does not rain for a while I water the plants ow I just leave them alone. They like acidic. Yes it is full sun, the only shade is late in the evening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Has anyone actually grown pitcher plants in a pond bog? I would think they would be like other plants, and really enjoy the constant source of nutrients.

addy - glad to hear your plants are doing well at a high pH... that gives me more hope that I can get these guys growing well. I just got my first pitcher today, and have it sitting on the porch out of direct sunlight for a few days so it can adjust to our climate. I figure then I can start moving it out to the bog overnight for a few days, and slowly start letting it get longer periods of direct sunlight. Anyone have other suggestions for maximizing my chances of survival?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Has anyone actually grown pitcher plants in a pond bog? I would think they would be like other plants, and really enjoy the constant source of nutrients.

addy - glad to hear your plants are doing well at a high pH... that gives me more hope that I can get these guys growing well. I just got my first pitcher today, and have it sitting on the porch out of direct sunlight for a few days so it can adjust to our climate. I figure then I can start moving it out to the bog overnight for a few days, and slowly start letting it get longer periods of direct sunlight. Anyone have other suggestions for maximizing my chances of survival?

I have a pitcher plant in the pond bog, it is doing fine, three pitchers this year. The ones in the land bog do grow better.
My land bog has low ph / peat makes it acidic and our rain has a low ph.

I just stuck mine in the ground when they arrived. Never thought about doing it slowly. They are in direct sun all day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I just stuck mine in the ground when they arrived. Never thought about doing it slowly. They are in direct sun all day.

Yeah I'm reconsidering the week-long adaptation already. I'm on the fence because on the one hand, direct sunlight could be too harsh for a traumatized plant, but on the other hand getting some sunlight could help the plant recover faster. Depending on how it looks tomorrow, I may go ahead and move it out to my mini-bog.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Put them outside and put a light piece of shade cloth over them I have done that with some plants that struggle

Ask a Question