j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Filled in so nicely addy. Doesn't look empty anymore. Do the picture plants multiply from seed or do you have to keep adding more?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Filled in so nicely addy. Doesn't look empty anymore. Do the picture plants multiply from seed or do you have to keep adding more?

They grow babies, I think, lol, have never had them before.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Guess you will just have to wait and find out then. They are getting more necks on them if that's what you call them and bushier. Guess I call them necks cuz they eat bugs and kinda seems as tho they would swallow them down to digest and grow. I find them quite interesting and when you first got them didn't even know they could live in the cold areas. I do remember Old Marine talking about his too tho. Wonder where he's been?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have read both they can survive here and can't survive here...........but I did have some in my bog, brand new baby plants that came back from a solid freeze last winter. So they should be ok. I tend to let plants be, plant what should live and if doesn't move on to something else. There are a few pond plants I will baby, lol, but that is it.

The pitcher has water in it, or it is dry, the bug crawls in and can't get out, downward pointing hairs. Those sundews are sticky, the gnats come in for the honey and get stuck to them. They are covered with gnats! natural gnat control

I have not seen him on line here or elsewhere in a while, hope all is ok

Reaction score
here are mine. they finally get full sun but daily temps have not been above 85 and have been lower. They want some heat but I sure don't. No two plants are the same. I have several sundews including a really large one and a staghorn sundew. that one only can handle zone 9 but it seems to do ok outside. I have 4 different venus flytraps two that are black all have little differences. they were the first to start growing this year but then slowed down because of the lack of heat. They would love to sit in the middle of a blacktop lot in the hottest summer. one little butterwort that one another first to bloom. all the pitcher plants are different some are slow to grow some fast.

B957F938-orig.jpg

B0EAF462-orig.jpg

3C516C99-orig.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Cool looking plants Steve and you have many varieties. Do you have to bring yours indoors for winter?

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of room on the porch so I wanted as many different plants as I could get. Plus they are expensive so who wants duplicates? but I can get them locally from a great grower.. no these are all outside year around they need to get cold in winter. They did fine when it got down to 19 degrees last winter.
here are the indoor plants. you have two pitcher plants a mess of butterworts and some more sundews.

photo1-22-3.jpg

photo2-20-3.jpg

photo3-14.jpg

photo4-7-2.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Those pitcher plants are just the coolest and some are so huge and alien looking. Neat that they can stay outdoors in the cold weather. If they make babies you and addy should do some trading. She's in a much colder area than you and hers survive also.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well some of mine have made it jw...........most of these in the bog are babies i.e. new this year. I might bring in a sundew for the winter, love the fact it grabs those little gnats (fruit flies) that seem to show up in the winter.

You have beautiful ones steve! mine are just getting established, I did not the best for them this year, got so hot and dry, forgot to water a few times. but they are growing great. Next year they will probably really take off. We do drop to zero off and on, but zero is close to 19 both are freezing, lol. We tend to stay in the teens during the winter, just an occasional real cold.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If mine do well tmann, they produce pups, can send you some, next summer lol

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The sundews flowered yesterday, while taking the picture I noticed the yellow jackets flying above my head to their new nest........
DSC02288.JPG
DSC02287.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Great looking Carnivorous plants Addy and Steve. I'm just down to 2 in my bog. I'm going to leave them out there this winter and see how they do. They are the coolest plant.

Ask a Question