carnivorous plant bog

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just ran across this post and now want a carnivorous bog. I don't have a lot of mosquitoes but we get a lot of flies and some demon spawn called a noseeum. It looks like these plants do best in acidic, full sun, areas right? I have a small deep pond on the other side of the yard that is about 3 feet deep but small, I was wondering if I could fill that in and turn it into a small bog. The only concerns are I can't drain it when we get really heavy rain and I don't think it's in full sun.
I did read that you have a pitcher plant in your bog but again, my bog won't get full sun.
Hmmm, addy1, do you have any that do well in partial sun?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is full sun, the bog plant died/disappeared. They are in a 50/50 mix of peat moss and sand. They go from very wet to very dry all of the time. The plants likes the wet / dry cycle.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I bet I could mix in a few containers of that against my fence. Do they only do flies and teeny bugs or do they eat bees and butterflies as well? I'd hate to put those near my flowers and kill off my happy insects.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They seem to mainly get ants, flies, gnats. I have never seen a butterfly or bee near them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine gave up years ago

And it is built in a cheap home depot tarp, around 5 inches deep. The tarp helps keep it wet.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
This just made me think that I had a pitcher plant! Haven't seen it in a couple of months as my bog has gone wild! Taro at 9' and can't even see the framework or gravel.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think the pitcher plant was overwhelmed by other plants or died during one of the bad winters. The dirt bog, they survived the winter just fine.

Reaction score
Addy what do you have over the top edge of the stock tank? Is that rock on a roll or like a canvas tarp?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I covered the edging with rock on roll when it was first a lily pond in the front yard, then after a neighbors wandering dog almost drowned in it, I made it into a carnivorous plant bog, then we changed out driveway size and I dug it up and moved it to the back yard and made it into a part of the pond system. The ror was put on with pl goop it was stuck on hard, it is covering the blue edge ,hides it great, and I also put rocks over the edge here and there. It has been attached for a 3 or so years now.

These pictures are from last year, now I have netting over the pond, removed the fishing line and chicken wire.

DSC05513.JPG
edging.JPG

Ask a Question