Carolina Fairy Moss ... thoughts/experiences ?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Azolla filiculoides, syn. A. caroliniana.

Been reading about. Its a floating aquatic fern with bright green velvety leaves that turn red in cool water. Zone 7~10. It is extremely nitrogen rich and is also used in terrestrial garden beds for fertilizer.

Appears koi love to eat it, but I done know about comets.
Any thoughts, experiences, cautions, etc. with this plant ???

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have it in my pond and either my goldfish aren't eating it or they are and it grows so fast that I don't notice it. I like the way it spreads like a carpet and am waiting to see what happens to it when we get ice on the pond. I gathered it from a wild pond and brought it to my tub ponds and then after awhile I threw a bunch in my fish pond.

IMG_4461.JPG

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
Azolla filiculoides, syn. A. caroliniana.

Been reading about. Its a floating aquatic fern with bright green velvety leaves that turn red in cool water. Zone 7~10. It is extremely nitrogen rich and is also used in terrestrial garden beds for fertilizer.

Appears koi love to eat it, but I done know about comets.
Any thoughts, experiences, cautions, etc. with this plant ???
It's a nice plant. Had some growing in my pond. I think my fish got it though. To keep the fish from getting it place some in a floating pot where only the rim is surfaced.This will keep the plant under control while keeping the fish away.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have some of it in a floating plant ring w/ a net on the bottom also so fish can't get it but appears like my goldies may not like it. FountainMan do you have goldfish that eat it or just koi?

IMG_4460.JPG

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
I have it in my pond and either my goldfish aren't eating it or they are and it grows so fast that I don't notice it. I like the way it spreads like a carpet and am waiting to see what happens to it when we get ice on the pond. I gathered it from a wild pond and brought it to my tub ponds and then after awhile I threw a bunch in my fish pond.

View attachment 49394
only Goldfish. Pond not big enough for koi. Another reason I want to build a larger pond. Since the weather gets cooler the water hasn't adjusted yet. Netting over the pond the fish aren't fed as frequently so the Fairy Moss is the next item on the menu.

One recommendation for the floating pot is to keep it tied to the shore or it will drift and possably let go of the plants.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep mine is tied to the shore w/ fishing line. Mine is overflowing now w/ the Azolla and it really grows fast! So I guess we will see if they eat the stuff in my pond over the winter. I think the stuff sinks to the bottom in the winter and then rises back up in the Spring if I remember reading that correctly. How's it gonna do that in the ring tho? Guess it will sink down into the screen I put on the bottom of the ring and hopefully come back again. We shall see!

Reaction score
I think that is the same azolla that is found in some of the ponds here in Central Florida. It needs a symbiote with it, some type of algae. And, the turning to red has something to do with water chemistry.

I'm a really big help, aren't I? Sorry, next time I'll try to take better notes. I am planning a trip down to the pond to collect some for my pond at home. I've built a floating container thingie out of window screen and tubing to keep it all in.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You have to keep it netted or it sure can clog up a filter fast after the fish start ripping it apart .Sure can clog up a pump too .

Ask a Question