Carp pox??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi all
Anyone ever dealt with carp pox or Koi pox. One of my Koi developed white splotches on his head back and fins as the water got cold this fall. Its my best guess that that's what it is. He has gone down hill in the last few days and I think he will be done by am. I read that its like herpes for fish and non contagious to the other fish. Also said it comes on when stressed usually in winter but clears when water warms and immune system perks up. Don't think this guy will make it till then. Water here still 50 degrees.
IMG_9746.JPG
IMG_9734.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh that's sad... I'm not a fish health expert, but I think it is indeed contagious. Usually it's not deadly, and like you said will clear when the water warms. Unfortunately it can also make the fish susceptible to other infections, which might be the case with your fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi Lisa
Well as of last night this Koi was still hangin in there. I moved him yesterday to a 20 gal tank with warmer water in the hope that his immune system would kick in and he can recover. Tough fish. Jury is out on being contagious. Most say no. Which is what I want to here. My water parameters are perfect. Water is crystal clear. Looks cloudy in one photo because I just added clay. All the other fish look great.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm... well being that it's a virus (of the herpes family, not the one that we won't mention right now!) I would be surprised if it weren't contagious, but I hope you're right! And good news on your fish... let's hope he/she makes it through!

Ask a Question