Community Pond - What to do?

Reaction score
I cull all the time. It is a necessity. I mix my culled fish in the garden soil. The flowers and vegetables love them. Of course, mine is a very small scale compared to you.

Sounds like your plan with the net and the boat is about right.

Good Luck.

If you do catch them, use clove oil to put them to sleep. You can get it at GNC health stores. If they are smaller than one or two inches you can use a bucket of tap ice water.

Reaction score
Ok thanks Coigal50! But I draw the line at sitting there with little pieces of gauze slowly euthanizing each fish! Now if you had said to coat each one in extra virgin olive oil... No I guess not! Hahaha Maybe what we need is a Community Cat! But again, my question, is I don't even know how to get them out! Maybe a minnow bucket??? Hummmm

Reaction score
If it's really that much, what about a shad net? If that's the right way to spell it. Get them a Academy.

You don't need gauze. You put about 25 drops of clove oil in a large tuberware/rubbermaid storage bin with water and insert fish and the sandman cometh.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Our local Wal-Mart has seine nets, different sizes. Go to any sporting goods store if you don't have a Wal-Mart and buy one. Get whatever length you need. if they don't have wide enough for your pond, you may have to order one on-line. They are small weave nets, weighted at the bottom, floats on the top edge. Need someone to walk them through, if possible, or use a boat on each end. Pushes all or at least most of the fish to one end, then you can net them out or pull the net and dispose of everything. If I ever dig a pond for koi, it will have steep sides so the heron and raccoons cannot go fishing, but that will also make it next to impossible to seine and pull fish. Good luck!

Reaction score
25 drops of clove oil you say! Sure better than stomping each of their little heads! Now to get them, but two boats and a seine net just ain't gonna work. Maybe a whole bottle of clove oil in 80,000 gallons..hummm?!?!?! hahaha

Ask a Question