20' by 30' pond w/ 30' stream and 10' by 20' wetland

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don’t recall what your flow rate is, but if you have a second pump on the falls just for looks, you could put it on a timer or a smart plug so it’s only running when someone is there to actually look at it.

larger pumps are by comparison huge energy pigs not just because they are larger but by ratio . for more circulation in the pond id look at aquascapes circulation pumps no plumbing needed just wiring.

Agreed. 40 watts will get you 2k GPH of circulation right where you want it with no plumbing. And it’s 12V AC so you can tap into your landscape lighting wiring to power it. Couldn’t be easier.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
Pile of straw on the plants how deep is the water on the surface of the bog
Varies from 0 to 10 inches, I was thinking about filling in more so there'd be more of a stream running through the bog and plant it in more. Wasn't sure if that'd make spring time maintenance harder though. Thoughts?

How deep is the water on yours?

You don't worry about the mulch decaying into the water-column?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
I don’t recall what your flow rate is, but if you have a second pump on the falls just for looks, you could put it on a timer or a smart plug so it’s only running when someone is there to actually look at it.

Agreed. 40 watts will get you 2k GPH of circulation right where you want it with no plumbing. And it’s 12V AC so you can tap into your landscape lighting wiring to power it. Couldn’t be easier.
The extra pump is on a smart plug but I don't turn it on and off as much as I thought I would.

I was looking at those power heads, but the pond is also something the girls go swimming in so had been avoiding internal pumps.

I could take it out when they go in but that then depends on where I'd put it. Would you go with the deepest spot?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The extra pump is on a smart plug but I don't turn it on and off as much as I thought I would.

The real beauty of smart plugs is automation. Scheduling + presence sensing would eliminate the need to think about turning it on and off. Even just a simple schedule so you don't have to think about turning it on/off at night or in the morning.

I was looking at those power heads, but the pond is also something the girls go swimming in so had been avoiding internal pumps.

You could put those on schedules/automation, too, but it's a little more involved to automate an outdoor low voltage circuit. IF someone is present outside (motion detected during certain hours or door/gate sensor activated etc.) THEN disable internal pumps.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd just run the internal pumps late at night into the morning having a change . Where the currents blows in one direction then shifts or stops being pushed in another will change the flow .a good thing in my book

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Varies from 0 to 10 inches, I was thinking about filling in more so there'd be more of a stream running through the bog and plant it in more. Wasn't sure if that'd make spring time maintenance harder though. Thoughts?

How deep is the water on yours?

You don't worry about the mulch decaying into the water-column?
I seem to have better luck with the plants out of the water but just barely and the roots all within the water zone . or as the plant folks would say keep the crown out of the water but let the roots swim

Ask a Question