sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Geeze glad to hear you are OK finally .I am the same way injured my knee bad and was going to go to med express or primecare but could not even walk to the car .So put a brace on it and waited until I could drive there .It of course made it worse waiting .I think we all do that and pay the price ,but we learn from it .My sister is an emergency room nurse at Sovha health care hospital so I should know better .;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Such an infection could happen to anyone and yes staph may not be "pond related" since it exists all over our skins. I'm shocked it went that deep and your clinic didn't bother with preemptive antibiotics... if you truly described it that way to them and they did nothing I would advise to change clinics IMO.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ER is your friend. For anything beyond minor issues. They will work you up very well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
get well soon , did u fall on that fountain? that cud have been worst i imagine if that fountain was more sharper at the top u wud have been dead or fatal injury thats scary what happened . b careful

Yup. Fell right onto it like a good idiot would.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Such an infection could happen to anyone and yes staph may not be "pond related" since it exists all over our skins. I'm shocked it went that deep and your clinic didn't bother with preemptive antibiotics... if you truly described it that way to them and they did nothing I would advise to change clinics IMO.

They did put me on antibiotics but since no culture was taken by the clinic they didn't know which one it was. But being on heavy antibiotics had its perks. The wife is enjoying a less stinky version of myself. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Now you need some pre - and probiotics to kick start your gut - you want to replace the good bacteria ASAP!
Get some of the good yogurt

"
First off, your body needs to have a healthy amount of ''good'' bacteria in the digestive tract, and many yogurts are made using active, good bacteria. One of the words you’ll be hearing more of in relation to yogurt is ''probiotics.'' Probiotic, which literally means ''for life,'' refers to living organisms that can result in a health benefit when eaten in adequate amounts.

Miguel Freitas, PhD, medical marketing manager for Dannon Co., says the benefits associated with probiotics are specific to certain strains of these "good" bacteria. Many provide their benefits by adjusting the microflora (the natural balance of organisms) in the intestines, or by acting directly on body functions, such as digestion or immune function. (Keep in mind that the only yogurts that contain probiotics are those that say "live and active cultures" on the label.)"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Another way to get good probiotics is to eat fermented foods - we ferment cabbage and carrots and beets and apples and ginger and... well, you get the point! And we make our own kombucha - another good source! There are also foods that are good pre-biotics - that is, they feed the good bacteria in your gut and help them to thrive and multiply. Some of those include bananas, onions, leeks, garlic, dandelion greens... lots of good things!

And if you're going to use yogurt or kefir, make sure to find a brand without added sugar. Buy it plain and add your own fruit or some of @addy1 's delicious honey!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Another way to get good probiotics is to eat fermented foods - we ferment cabbage and carrots and beets and apples and ginger and... well, you get the point! And we make our own kombucha - another good source! There are also foods that are good pre-biotics - that is, they feed the good bacteria in your gut and help them to thrive and multiply. Some of those include bananas, onions, leeks, garlic, dandelion greens... lots of good things!

And if you're going to use yogurt or kefir, make sure to find a brand without added sugar. Buy it plain and add your own fruit or some of @addy1 's delicious honey!

Fermented foods you say?

ac493e_448a9c2a798147f585929757b5547130~mv2.jpg

:D

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We eat a lot of yogurt with fresh fruit and HONEY! lol, not like we are running out at any time soon.

I saw this write up recently

National Honey Bee Day: 10 reasons honey is good for you

Honey bees are nature's warriors

1. Antioxidant-rich. Honey contains phenols, enzymes, flavonoids, and organic acids — all of which play a crucial role in honey’s laundry list of health benefits.

2. Reduces the risk of heart-related ailments. Thanks to its antioxidant-rich properties, honey reduces the risk of heart disease, heart attacks and strokes. It also works overtime to regulate blood sugar levels and promote eye health.

3. Improves cholesterol levels. In addition to honey’s happy-heart ways, it also has been proven to lower LDL cholesterol and blood triglycerides.

4. Acts as a natural cough suppressant. For children 1 year and older, honey is a great alternative to traditional cough medicine. It acts as a natural and safe cough suppressant that is as effective as a single dose of dextromethorphan.

5. Moisturizing and nourishing. You can use honey in your homemade face scrubs and washes. It emulsifies easily with water (surprisingly, no stickiness) and can help to moisturize and further nourish dry skin.

6. Reduces allergies. Not only is honey anti-inflammatory, it also contains small amounts of pollen, which can actually help your immune system stave off local allergies. (Local honey contains allergens local to your area.)

7. Promotes burn and wound healing. Honey is packed with antibacterial and antifungal properties. When it comes to applying a natural salve to minor wounds, cuts and burns, honey is your go-to.

8. Consider it “brain food.” Honey can naturally assist the brain to prevent metabolic stress, which in turn helps one to achieve truly restful sleep. And you know what happens after a good night’s sleep? Our cognitive and memory enhancement is on point.

9. Helps with an itchy scalp and dandruff. When diffused with water and applied to an itchy, dry scalp, honey’s natural humectant properties help to heal and moisturize.

10. Increases athletic performance. Honey maintains glycogen levels and improves recovery time post-workout. In a nutshell? Athletes shouldn’t skip a daily spoonful of honey.

Ask a Question