Filter Issues.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Hmm hottest is about 90Farenheit, coldest is just below freezing point, say 30 Fahrenheit
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Blagdon 400 litre free standing pond housing four large goldfish (they started out small) but I'm obliged to do a major water change every week as the Nitrate levels rise very quickly. I've been advised to get a new filter - one that can handle at least twice the volume of water ie 1,000 litres. I also understand that some filter media can house microorganisms that can consume Nitrates. So, I need help with brand names. Can anyone suggest a filter brand/model that will do the job plus the name and type of filter media that I could add to or replace the medium/media that the filter comes with. I'll need a pump to drive the filter so any ideas about that would be gratefully received. Many thanks, Brian Montague

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Brian Montague !

I can't help with filters - my pond uses wetland filtration and I can't recommend it highly enough - however I will say that your fish may have overgrown your pond. At 100 gallons, you may be right at the tipping point if your fish are large enough.

But yes - your pond should turn over at least 1.5 times per hour, preferably 2. Brands probably are a matter of preference. Since you are from across that "other pond" it may be more a matter of looking for features that others recommend and finding brands available to you that meet those requirements.

Do you have any plants in this pond? Plants are an integral component to a well-balanced system - hence the value of the bog or wetland filtration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I suggest you read through this forum extensively to educate yourself on the nitrogen cycle, beneficial bacteria, how to properly clean a filter without killing off that beneficial bacteria, the need for plants in that cycle and much more.

You will read that a lot of us don't use store bought filters, instead we use a bog filter. The water gets pumped under 12 inches of pea gravel, rises up through the gravel and returns to the pond. Plants, which thrive on the excess nutrients, are grown directly in the gravel. The bog filter can be small or large. In your case it won't need to be very big since your pond is only 100 gallons. A wooden box with a liner or a long window planter would probably work for you. You won't be wasting money on an inadequate store bought filter and the bog will keep your water crystal clear with no maintenance. No cleaning of any filter pads at all.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1604508486906.gif
@Brian Montague

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Hmm hottest is about 90Farenheit, coldest is just below freezing point, say 30 Fahrenheit
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks Lisak1 and Poconojo for your advice. I know a lot about the nitrogen cycle, beneficial bacteria et al. I have plants in my pond, mainly Pothos growing hydroponically to little effect, as well as Elodea for extra oxygenation. As the pond is more or less a tub with no shallow areas it is quite a fiddle to try and grow plants as there is no way to grow marginals and any plants that need shallow water would have to be supported on columns of some kind which would take up valuable swimming space. Regarding building a bog filter I'd need detailed instructions. Are they easily available, are some better than others? I know nothing about bog filters at all. Presumably it would take months for the bog filter to become active and what happens in the winter?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Brian Montague What response? I just was welcoming you. Maybe you are referring to my Live and let live quote? That is just a signature that is on all my posts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
@Brian Montague What response? I just was welcoming you. Maybe you are referring to my Live and let live quote? That is just a signature that is on all my posts.
I'm confused - what I don't understand is the description of your pump, I'm unfamiliar with the abbreviation.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm confused - what I don't understand is the description of your pump, I'm unfamiliar with the abbreviation.

Oh you mean the description of my pond. I forgot all about that the kind of pump I have is in there.
I use this prefilter attached to my pump and then the water goes to my waterfall and back into the pond.
My pump is a Laguna submersible pump that pumps 4280 gallons per hour. That statement I have about in there is a 2400gph is my old pump. I need to fix that statement on my posts.
Here is my new one:

IMG_9262.JPG

IMG_9261.JPG

The pump came w/a cage around it like this one but I took that off so I could attach the prefilter to it.

Laguna 4280 GPH pump.jpg

IMG_5385.JPG

and the something like this:

Prefilter diagram.jpg

I have to have a rope tied to the pump and prefilter to pull it out to clean tho. It is super easy to clean tho but kind of a hassle to pull out. I also made a pot filter that sits on the top edge of my pond.

IMG_9446.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Dear J.W. Thanks for that, I feel a tad less bewildered than before. All the best, Brian

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Turtle Mummy, That's what I thought but despite a number of Pothos that grow hydroponically in the pond. the Nitrate levels seem unaffected. Regards, Brian

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If I were to do things all over again I would do a bog. Way less work in the long run and your pond will be sparkling clean from seeing the ones on here that have them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
That is undoubtedly good advice j.w. but a bog filter will, I assume, take a few months to get going. I'll have a Goggle re bog filters and see what I can see. Many thanks, Brian

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hallo j.w, Turtle Mummy , Poconojo, So, as I understand it, I get a container (I already have 90 litre tubs I use for water changes so maybe I could use one of these) and partially fill it with pea gravel and maybe other materials , I plant it with marginal plants. I then pump water from my pond into this container via a system of plastic pipes so that the water circulates properly through the gravel planted marginals and then providing the rate of the water flow is appropriate, it can be gravity fed back into my pond having been thoroughly cleaned by the marginal plants. Is this right - am I getting the idea? Please advise. Many thanks, Brian

Ask a Question