j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't have a bog but others on here do. Maybe do a search and put in "Bog Filter" and I'm sure lots of posts will show up on bogs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You're almost there! You want the plumbing to be in the bottom of the tub (or whatever you decide to use) and completely filled with pea gravel (or even slightly larger gravel if you prefer). Then you plant the top of the vessel with some plants which will help filter the water.

Remember this is strictly biological filtration, so you want to pump "clean" water free of debris into the bog. So either a skimmer or other mechanical filtration before the water gets to the bog is needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Hmm hottest is about 90Farenheit, coldest is just below freezing point, say 30 Fahrenheit
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Lisak1, I'm feeling more hopeful and informed. So far it seems that a long window box shaped vessel might do the trick. I was thinking of using a submersible pump (fitted with sponges to trap debris) to pump the water from the pond and into the bottom of the "window box" bog filter. The "in flow" plumbing I imagine would be a T shaped pipe drilled with holes. I thought that the "window box" could be on a slight slope so that the water would flow naturally to the other end where it would trickle back into the pond via a pipe that I would fit into the end of the window box. Should this pipe be fitted into the window box low down or high up on the end panel? Any ideas?

Many thanks, Brian

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The plumbing can either enter at the bottom of the box (you'd probably need some sort of bulkhead fitting) or, an easier method, use a 90 degree elbow and drop it down the inside of the box to the bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Hmm hottest is about 90Farenheit, coldest is just below freezing point, say 30 Fahrenheit
Country
United Kingdom
That sounds straightforward. The next issue is that I'd like a container that has "window box" proportions and is made from fish friendly material such as HDTPE 2 or 5. A quick Google at window boxes doesn't show up any of these. Maybe I could line the window box with pond liner. What do you think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That is undoubtedly good advice j.w. but a bog filter will, I assume, take a few months to get going. I'll have a Goggle re bog filters and see what I can see. Many thanks, Brian
if you get the right plants and it's not winter, your bog can be fully operational very quickly. For the most part, you want fast growing, shallow rooted plants, i.e. creeping jenny, parrot's feather, pennywort, forget-me-not, or water cress. Deep rooted ones also work, i.e. various iris, but they are a bit slower for the process and need heavy thinning once in a while. But no, it would not be months as long as you've got good weather. The plants are for NITRATES while the gravel is for conversion of ammonia to nitrites to nitrates.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Brokensword, Many thanks for your advice. I was also thinking of adding reeds (as reed beds are commonly used to purify water) and Umbrella Plants Cyperus alternifolius as well. What do you think? Regards, Brian M

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Brokensword, Many thanks for your advice. I was also thinking of adding reeds (as reed beds are commonly used to purify water) and Umbrella Plants Cyperus alternifolius as well. What do you think? Regards, Brian M
reeds (like some iris) will definitely work but be aware of their growth and thin them out periodically. For instance, I have yellow flag iris and I have to cut the mass in half to 3/4 every fall or it'll take over and thoroughly clog my bog. Keep them contained, is what I'm advising. BUT! still get the low growing, shallow rooting plants as they are much easier to thin and grow much faster (hence, taking up nitrates faster).

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That sounds straightforward. The next issue is that I'd like a container that has "window box" proportions and is made from fish friendly material such as HDTPE 2 or 5. A quick Google at window boxes doesn't show up any of these. Maybe I could line the window box with pond liner. What do you think?
I have used play,tee boxes on my pond for years. They are designed for growing flowers and vegetables so they are safe for fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
reeds (like some iris) will definitely work but be aware of their growth and thin them out periodically. For instance, I have yellow flag iris and I have to cut the mass in half to 3/4 every fall or it'll take over and thoroughly clog my bog. Keep them contained, is what I'm advising. BUT! still get the low growing, shallow rooting plants as they are much easier to thin and grow much faster (hence, taking up nitrates faster).
[/QUOTE
Thanks again for the great advice. I think I'll give reeds a miss or maybe just plant one. Regards, Brian

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I appear to have got confused about where I write my replies. Apologies. Dear Brokensword, Many thanks for the advice re reeds, maybe I'll plant one and keep a close eye on it.

mrsclem, As a Brit I have to confess that I don't know what play, tee boxes are. We may have them in England but the term is unfamiliar to me . Could you describe them or better still post a photo. Many thanks, Brian

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
That is undoubtedly good advice j.w. but a bog filter will, I assume, take a few months to get going. I'll have a Goggle re bog filters and see what I can see. Many thanks, Brian
When I built my bog this Spring, the water went from solid pea soup green to crystal clear within a week of starting up the bog.
Previous to the bog startup I could only see my fish when they came to the surface to eat.
After startup of the bog I could see clearly three feet down as I said, within a week! It is absolutely amazing. And that was even before any of the plants in the bog were established. It was just the gravel filtering and colonizing the beneficial bacteria.

My bog is a lot bigger than yours needs to be since my pond is a bit under 1800 gallons.
You can build a very simple bog with a window box planter or a small stock tank. A PVC pipe with slits cut into it laying in the bottom of your container covered with pea gravel. The water gets pumped from the pond through the under gravel PVC pipe, then rises up through the gravel and flows back to the pond. Plants are grown right in the gravel, no pots. Your container can sit right at the edge or partially over your pond so that the water pours back into the pond. If necessary, you can cut a small notch in the container top edge as a low point for the water to flow out of and into the pond.
If this sounds complicated, it's not. It's very simple and you won't regret it. You will have crystal clear water with zero maintenance. No rinsing of filter pads every other day. Just sit back and enjoy your pond.

Any questions?...just ask...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Here's a link to my bog build. It is a way larger scale than what you need, but a general look at how it is constructed. Keep in mind, yours will just be a small watertight container such as a plastic window planter box or stock tank. Anything that will hold water. You can also build something out of wood, but you will need to line it with a rubber liner to hold the water. Don't use anything that is galvanized without a liner. Galvanized products are said to be harmful to fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
More reading on bog filters...this is addy's extensive bog building showcase...a lot of information.

Ask a Question