Friend Gives me "Goldfish"... NOT!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hey guys and gals, A buddy of mine was getting rid of his "Goldfish" he had and turning his 55 gallon tank into a lizard tank, so he asked if I wanted the "Goldfish", so of course I said yes. I asked him what kind and he stated he did not know but it was Orange, white, and black so I thought, Oh it's either a Ryukin or shubunkin until he brought me this in a clear container...
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3522]
Turns out it is a Koi and not a "Goldfish"
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3521]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3523]
I did not want it since I already have 3 and don't need anymore, but did not trust him to take of it properly so I took it off his hands and it is still fairly smaller then my others at about 2.5 - 3". As of now It has been put in my 20 gallon quarantine tank until I figure out where to put him/her, Just thought I would share that it's funny he was determined that it was indeed a Goldfish and when I told him it was a Koi he said the lady at walmart sold him a Goldfish when he bought it :LOL:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
mrsclem said:
Walmart is good for that. I bought 2 long fin koi from them years ago that they had labeled as goldfish. $1.25 each- these guys grew to 3' each!
Your Walmart sells fish? Man, our Walmart is just trash... Ours doesn't even have a proper garden center.

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
Ours sell fish but they look really bad half the times. I would never buy fish from there lol
JBtheExplorer said:
Your Walmart sells fish? Man, our Walmart is just trash... Ours doesn't even have a proper garden center.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yeah We have 5 Walmarts here in Panama City, 4 sell fish and all of the "Fish Centers" look gross, with dead fish floating and dirty tanks, I would never buy fish from them either, but this guy.gal is indeed a keeper!

Reaction score
Country
United States
They have fish at the Walmart stores here too (and they don't take very good care of them) but I have seen some nice fish in their tanks. And I am guilty of buying a few of them (a long time ago) :neutral:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
most of their fish are floating when I happen into walmart, i never buy from ours. Tiny overcrowded tanks.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I spent enough time in our walmart to find out when their new fish came in. I was there when they unpacked the new fish before they went into the tanks. The delivery guy even offered to get me whatever color or pattern I wanted.

Reaction score
Even though I hate shopping at Walmart; it's too big, I guess I'm old fasioned I prefer to shop at the small neighborhood grocery stores. But alas they are too expensive, and when you have 6 kids to feed.... I conceded. Anywho, my point was, our Super Walmart; we have two Super walmarts and one grocery Walmart here, does a pretty good job in the pet department. They actually keep it very clean and I don't remember ever seeing even one dead fish. I purchased two comets from there for my first pond, and still have them :)
Jason I have a Tancho just like that one :) just not so many black spots on it, but I'm sure as yours grows they will fade or spread out.
Mine is a Doitsu gin rin Tancho ( I think I should add bekko on there for the black spots but I'm still trying to figure out how that works lol).

Ask a Question