Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pond is really shaping up nicely.
Thanks Rob,
I just found an explosion of hair algae last night after I did a water change after cleaning out it all from the faster flowing areas only as there seems that there isn't any in the pond. as I drove by the local water shed I noticed that it was greener than my lawn. a phone call later found that the reservoir is close do to an algae bloom MY LUCK WELL SEE HOW LONG I HAVE TO FIGHT THIS BACK. but as you can see in the video like a said the pond is doing good

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you SURE this is a first year pond? Your plants are AMAZING!
I assure you this is my first outdoor pond I have kept aquarium, terrariums even mixed the two together with some pretty good luck. Anyone need some lettuce or hyacinth it's taking over.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's gorgeous! My pond and bog plants struggled so much the first year or so. It's impressive to see a new pond with so much plant growth!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Update what's left to be completed. A walk around the pond.
all the guys on the job think i'm nuts I was collecting both rocks, sticks, stumps, you name it. it's coming together pretty well it will be a couple years before it's looking not man made.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's gorgeous! My pond and bog plants struggled so much the first year or so. It's impressive to see a new pond with so much plant growth!
As you can see I have pretty much over stocked the pond and if you look they could all stand to go on a diet. I feed the heck out of them and that Duckling. that duck alone is a ammonia and nitrate machine it pumps out a lot of poop

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The over crowded pond making the bog work double time. ALONG WITH THE LAST GLOW OF THE SUN AS CALLED THE GOLDEN HOUR
Looks great. Water quality is still clear too. Nice variety of fish too. I would like to get a solid yellow one like yours. And the pond itself is amazing. Such superb work. Makes me wish I had more flare space to work with. Lol I my have to excavate some of my hillside for an upper pond. But seriously exquisite and your plants all look wonderful too. Do you feed them aquatic plant food?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ah the duck! I should have gotten a duck! Whatever you're doing, it's working!
As you know the first couple years is a very delicate balancing act. Being attentive to signs of change is critical in my eyes. Watch what the fish are telling you, are they swimming fast one day and barely moving the next? Are they flashing today but they weren't up until now. What changed ? A water change? did someone go for a swim who had a ton of sun screen on, or Off? Action, Reaction is how I manage my projects I have never had a bog before so If I bought plants I always bought more then one. I will plant one with just it's toes wet and I will plant the other where it's up to the base of the plant or higher and see which works best and move the other to which ever won. Lots of reading and videos. and some help from sources like we have here. I did receive some cultures from some sources from here. " THANK YOU " These are plants that will survive the winter here, and other then a few plants like canna, papyrus and star grass everything else should survive the winter including the pitcher plants. I guess it's like getting a puppy the more time you spend with it the closer you pay attention to it the better the success will be.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks great. Water quality is still clear too. Nice variety of fish too. I would like to get a solid yellow one like yours. And the pond itself is amazing. Such superb work. Makes me wish I had more flare space to work with. Lol I my have to excavate some of my hillside for an upper pond. But seriously exquisite and your plants all look wonderful too. Do you feed them aquatic plant food?
Just the Lilly I slipped a tablet to. I see a couple flowers from them but I have no idea how the plant in general is doing its been over whelmed by lettuce and hyathin. I guess I am doing a bit better then I thought here's some money and there project that's similar to mine and I see what you mean Lisa where my for a first year pond it's doing ok . I think I got this beat but there all done I'm still plugging away.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Your pond is doing way better than OK! First year pond plants generally look sad and sick and like they would just rather not grow.

I love watching the Aquascape videos - he's doing a great job profiling contractors all over the country. And I love that they're featuring both big jobs and small.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
So impressed with this thread covering your pond and the amazing results. If only I had a bigger yard. Thanks for sharing and feeding my dream.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here's an over view of the project when i see this view i see how much there is left to do. This has been a pretty good size undertaking. Keep telling myself it's all worth it in the end. I should mention i spent a few hours this morning placing stone into the stream it completely clouded up the pond but now about 6 hours latter it's pretty much cleared up the green mass at the bottom of the photo is all from 6 lettuce and 6 hyacinth it's multiplied and has bridged across the pond.
SAJ_5621.JPG

Ask a Question