Good Foods for Great Health

Reaction score
Country
United States
callingcolleen1 said:
Feeling much better now thst I took the tiny baby asprin, Starvation has set in cause I never ate much so I am ordering a pizza and chicken wings, that should make me feel better. I know it is not organic but I am starved and tummy growling at me. Have not ordered a pizza for many many years....

I am going to maybe take the puppies to the outskirts of town to watch the northern lights... :)
You have not ordered pizza for many years or have not eaten it in many years? I can't even imagine not having pizza, I love it

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
993693_10151845996913706_251414240_n.jpg

GMO Bulls Now A Reality

Due to genetic selection and experiments, the Belgian Blue is a humongous species of Bull, packed with muscles and meat.

What is hidden from the general public, is the fact that these Bulls are Genetically Modified....

Their uninhibited muscle growth presents a lot of health hazards, calves can develop enlarged tongues and stiff legs which make it difficult for them to eat and move, leading to an early and painful death.

GMOs continue to infiltrate our grocery stores and still don't require any special labelling!

adguk-blog.com/2013/08/monstrous-gmo-bulls-now-reality.html

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
koiguy1969, at least give us some warning, will ya? When I scrolled down and saw that pic I almost jumped out of my seat.

On another topic, this is my bad foods for bad health post. Tonight I went to Costco and for the first time (for me), they had night time food samples. It was good, but it was also bad for me. Anyway, tonight I dined on:
- cheese wrapped with prosciutto
- organic ham slices
- pizza without gluten
- french bread baked with pizza toppings
- chicken nuggets
- mexican stuff (some kind of mini-tacos)
- melted cheese chicken wraps
then I went to Trader Joes and had some more
- french bread with balsamic vinegar and oil
- some kind of kame green salad
and finished off with
- organic coffee

I was planning to come home and have dinner, but I'm pretty full. Yup, pretty full of salt, sugar, fat, wheat and meat. Funny, all the while I was chatting with Dr. Mrs. Sir John Huff how bad processed food was (or is it Mrs. Dr. Sir John Huff?)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
MitchM said:
It's 2 nights this time, addy.
- but forecasting the spread of the Northern Lights is less accurate than forecasting the weather.
When a solar flare occurs on the sun, it takes about 3 days to reach our planet.
Too cloudy here for me to see anything last night.

Well we will come and visit and stay until we see them.......................

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
callingcolleen1 said:
I am still alive..... blew my nose off, it was running non stop!! I am getting better, but this swine flu really sucks!!
Hard to type if you weren't colleen...............so glad you are mending!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad you are still one of the living Colleen and keep getting better and hope you find your nose again :biggrin:

Addy I see you have not floated away and hope all is getting dryer down there in the Southlands. I read posts from bottom to top(oldest to newest) so if you have posted info on what it going on I will arrive at it shortly.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
10 herbs and veggies you can buy once and grow yourself....
Here are 10 vegetables and herbs you can buy once and regrow forever.

#1. Garlic
When garlic starts to sprout, the little green shoots are too bitter to cook with. Rather than throwing away sprouted cloves, you can put them in a glass with a little water and grow garlic sprouts. The sprouts have a much milder flavor than garlic cloves and are great in salads, pasta and as a garnish.

Learn more on Simple Daily Recipes.

#2. Carrot Greens
The ends of carrots you usually chop off and throw away will grow carrot greens if you put them in a dish with a little water. Set the dish in a well-lit windowsill and you'll have carrot tops to use as a garnish or in salads.

Read more details on how to use and grow them on Fidgety Fingers.

#3. Basil
Put a few basil clippings with 4-inch stems in a glass of water and place it in a spot with direct sunlight. When the roots are about 2 inches long, you can plant them in pots to grow a full basil plant.

You can find more details on The Urban Gardener.

#4. Scallions
In as little as 5 days you can completely regrow a full scallion (or green onion) from the scraps. Leave about an inch attached to the roots and place them in a small glass with a little water. In a few days, you'll have all new scallions.

#5. Romaine Lettuce
If you have a stem from a head of romaine lettuce that's still intact, place the stump in a bowl with about ½ inch of water and put it on a windowsill. You'll start to see new leaves in about 2 weeks, and they'll be full grown in 3 to 4.

Learn more on RemoveandReplace.

#6. Bok Choy
Just like romaine lettuce, bok choy can be regrown by placing the root end in water in a well-lit area. In a week or two, you can transplant it to a pot with soil and grow a full new head.

Read the full instructions with progress photos on 17 Apart.

#7. Onions
Plant the discarded root end from an onion in a pot or directly in the soil outside to regrow. You can harvest it early and get fresh green onions or wait until the bulb is fully developed.

Find the full tutorial on Instructables.

#8. Ginger
Like onions, ginger root can be planted in soil to regrow, but the process is a lot more lengthy. It can take a few months for it to sprout, and you should be able to harvest a fully grown bulb in 8 to 10 months.

Read more on 17 Apart.

#9. Mushrooms
Plant mushroom stalks in soil with some compost or used coffee grounds and keep them in a moist environment, preferably where it will be cool at night. They can be tricky to grow, and within a few days the stems will either start to sprout new heads or rot.

More details on Earth911.

#10. Cilantro
Like basil, cilantro can grow roots if the stems are placed in a glass of water. Once the roots are long enough, just plant them in a pot. In a few weeks new sprigs will be starting, and in a few months you'll have a full plant.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Big Lou said:
When eating in a cafe or such what is the safest artifical sweeter to use for beverages?
i doubt you'd find it at any cafe or resteraunt but you can buy stevia in those little resteraunt style packs at any grocerie. about $4.00 for a box of 100 i think. good for coffee and teas. a healthy choice....a natural complex carb, so theres no blood sugar spikes.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Stevia is one of the sweetners that is good, monk fruit also very good.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Had to look that one up addy and found some info on the Monk Fruit on the net. Have not noticed it in the stores yet. Have you?

MONK FRUIT SWEETENERS

HE_monk-fruit_s4x3_lead.jpg

Sugary goodness, but no calories in sight. Is the newest no-calorie sweetener made from the ancient Monk fruit too good to be true? Find out.
What is Monk Fruit?
This ancient Chinese fruit is also known as luo han guo. According to my go-to Chinese medicine expert (a close friend), traditionally this fruit is used for building immunity and fighting sugar cravings.
The Monk fruit is similar in size and shape to a lemon; its color is somewhere between Kelly and lime green, with pale green streaks. The inner pulp is used to create a super-sweet product that (in small portions) contains very little calories.
Manufactures of monk fruit sweeteners report that it’s 300 times sweeter than sugar, which allows it to be used in small quantities.
A few years back, the FDA gave some products derived from monk fruit the GRAS (generally recognized as safe) designation, which has allowed food companies to process and incorporate it into powders and extracts. This means you can find it on ingredient lists as well as standalone packets and canisters. This sweetener is relatively new on the scene; if you haven’t seen it in your local grocery store, you will soon.
New Products
A few name brands of Monk fruit containing sweeteners are currently on the market. A powder from the Splenda folks called “Nectresse” is sold in bright orange colored packets and canisters. According to the Nectresse website, their product is combined with erythritol (a sugar alcohol), sugar and molasses. Since sugar and molasses do contain calories, larger portions of this sweetener will have a caloric value.
Other name brand products you might come across include Fruit-Sweetness, Go-Luo and Purefruit (a monk fruit extract).
How Does it Taste?
Monk fruit sweetener tastes, well . . . sweet. It has a course sugar-like consistency and is light beige in color. It does have a slight aftertaste but I found it more pleasant than some other sweeteners I’ve tried.
It’s relatively quick dissolving and one packet made a cup of coffee overly sweet by my standards. Its heat stable so you can cook with it. One company website states that ¼ teaspoon of sweetener is as sweet as 1 teaspoon of sugar. They suggest experimenting with your favorite recipes to find the right balance of sweetness.
Recipes from makers of the sweetener include beverages, granola, apple pie, cream fillings, pancakes and salad dressings.
Bottom Line: Don’t be fooled by the word “natural.” Monk fruit may come from a plant but it must be processed to some degree to become a powdered or liquid sweetener. Just like all the other sweeteners out there, this kind should be used in moderation.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
Had to look that one up addy and found some info on the Monk Fruit on the net. Have not noticed it in the stores yet. Have you?

MONK FRUIT SWEETENERS

HE_monk-fruit_s4x3_lead.jpg

It is very very very sweet, use a drop vs a tsp of sugar. I have found it in our stores.

Ask a Question