Got Rock? A new pond needing help.

Reaction score
You say "Got Rock"? Looks like you've already got a start on rocks with the excavation. Kinda like paying yourself to dig!:biggrin: Your place looks lovely. I have a little understanding of redoing an old house. Our house was built somewhere between 1871 and 1881. It's a small Victorian cottage. 1 1/2 story, 4 bedrooms since the addition and still less than 1000 square feet. We did most of the work ourselves. It's nothing fancy, but it's home and its paid for. Old homes are real fun as nothing is square, level or plumb.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Buck
I am so impressed with your barn renovation that I actually want to see it?
Thanks Doc, that barn is still a big project with what is left but i will get there someday. :biggrin:

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
takes your breath away. I'm jealous! You're living in MY dream house/property.
Thankyou. At times I wonder if I bit off more then i can chew but everyday i consider myself blessed. It is a 6 hour job a week just keeping up with the grass alone. :biggrin: Good thing my wife likes to mow too !

Reaction score
poodles said:
Old homes are real fun as nothing is square, level or plumb.
That was the first thing I did after the first project... throw out the levels and squares !! Now i just use my thumb in a sideways position and my right eye to check if it looks good ! LOL :biggrin:

The stones I get off my property are unbelievable. What you see coming out of this pond hole are "small" in comparison to some I have around. If anyone needs some stone just bring your truck to Bucks house....I'll hook you up good !

Reaction score
DrDave said:
I would love to have that barn. Imagine the indoor Koi pond you could have?
Actually Im not much of a Koi fan but they are the perfect fish for this application. Indoor ponds? Been there and still do that. I have been aquascaping in aquariums for years, here are a couple of my tanks from the past. No plastic plants here, everything is growing and real. I used to do a lot of plant trading via the mail to try and grow different varieties. Very good hobby for the winter blues...LOL :biggrin:

75G_1.jpg

10gallon.jpg

30G_3.jpg

Reaction score
Very nice place you have there. I like to see fellow front loader/backhoe people here even though yours is green :biggrin: . What model is that? It all depends on what your going for but have you considered a mud pond vs lined. I personaly want both and I'm doing a mud pond now but, each have there own advantages. With your machine and land size it would be an inexpensive project.

Reaction score
Wow, you sure go all out. I am bouncing in my chair because I can't WAIT to see what your pond looks like!!!!
Take LOTS of photos and videos.

Reaction score
Airic said:
I like to see fellow front loader/backhoe people here even though yours is green. What model is that? It all depends on what your going for but have you considered a mud pond vs lined. I personaly want both and I'm doing a mud pond now but, each have there own advantages. With your machine and land size it would be an inexpensive project.
Airic I didnt know they made tractors in any other color then Green. Its a 3220. I had looked for 2 years for a good used one but without success so we ended up buying it new. Its a 32 hp and I had them upgrade the loader and the hoe. I would still be on the first fence pole from 5 years ago without it...LOL
Actually, I have all ready started a "mud pond" I guess you call it behind the barn where it is really wet most of the time. 2 years ago I dug a test hole 7 feet across and about 6 feet deep and it has held water perfectly. It all started when I dug some material (bog topsoil) out of that area for my gardens.

I can't WAIT to see what your pond looks like!!!! Take LOTS of photos and videos.
Thankyou leanne, I try to keep up taking photos of my projects as they go along.

Well I ran into another large stone yesterday and this one has to stay unfortunately. When I snapped a string for the water line it appears the water will come up a few inches on it. This will pose problems for the liner so I am going to rebuild the wall in front of it with clay silt for the liner and use this stone as a visible corner. I had 10 yards of clay silt (processed) yesterday. My goal with this pond is to have this hole set before winter. I want the clay silt walls to settle and pack and the ground to winter over one time because of the stones before I lay a liner. Its amazing how things move after a freeze around here.
P1010049.JPG

This is the water line from end to end. The closest end will be about 15 inches deep and then terrace down a couple times to under the waterfall where I am shooting for a 5 foot depth.
P1010051.JPG

The shallow end...
P1010050.JPG

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Wait a second, the largest tractor/earth moving manufacturer in the world is Caterpillar. Nothing they make is green.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Your barn is a clasic its great to see some one save things instead of tearing them down..
Looks great up there

Reaction score
Thanks Doc...its been a lot of work but its well worth saving.
And by the way, Ford is the best selling truck too , but that dont make them the best...LOL !

Well I had a very frustrating day yesterday in my pond. The further I dig into the side walls, the more stone I find. If it was the smooth type of stones, I would not worry, but it is mostly very sharp edged ledge rock.

-The pitch of the ground in this area is also a lot more then I anticipated and is posing more problems. By the time I got the desired pond length I wanted and removed the big pieces of jagged rock, it created a very sharp drop off on the right side that is still very rocky. I am just going to refill the right side and the back side with clay silt and build the walls out now. (no big deal I guess)

The Back Wall... :D

P1010052.JPG

I started adding silt to walls in the front. This stuff is like putty !

P1010056.JPG

Reaction score
Looking good. What kind of reach do you have on your BH? I'm to the belief that you can never have enough rocks and with a machine, never to big. Our local Ace sells soccer ball size rocks for $25 each. I've been digging mine up around my property and going to construction sites. If a rock shortage hits I'll be a rich man.

Ask a Question