Help with determining dimensions of new pond structure

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I can't speak for anyone else but I find it very difficult to read. As a result, I skip most of your posts.

Amen! Not picking on @Usman , but in general in a forum where you rely on the WRITTEN WORD it's so helpful if people use complete sentences, punctuate, spellcheck, PROOFREAD before posting, etc. It's often hard enough to convey a thought without having to use a decoder ring!

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Pisa 2.jpg
Several manufacturers have retaining wall systems that are stackable and are available in a variety of colors.

Try UniLock Pisa 2 retaining wall system, for instance. They interlock and step-back with each level added. Ensure that they are installed over a suitable base (ie. compacted limestone screenings or HL6 or A-gravel). They can be glued together using interlocking stone adhesive or interlock adhesive tape.

These are relatively easy to lay, the skilled part being in the cutting of the coping stones for the top tier.

Rather than a brick layer, I would contact a local paving stone installer for this job. Better yet, visit a showroom and have the retailer recommend an approved installer.

I would suggest digging down into the ground by about a foot, then building your circular retaining block wall around the hole to make the pond deeper.

Last edited:

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
hey u r a human , why u misslead ppl by writing ur a tadepole !

Usman, not trying to be a testicular appendage here but do you think that you might dig down deep and try using some of the spelling and grammatical skills that were pounded into you, year after year, in grade school?

If you struggle with basic literacy, then please accept my heartfelt apologies for the slight.

You're on the verge on being tossed into my "ignore" bin solely on the basis that I struggle to read your gibberish, oftentimes thinking that you're writing in Swahili or some long-forgotten foreign tongue.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love retaining wall but she wants brick to match the house .But sometimes matchy matchy can be boring also .IU know they even have retaining wall block that looks similar to brick .Look online and it shows all the new stuff out there .I guess i have no problem with usman but that must be me I read every comment made .good or bad .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Get a different contractor. Brick needs to be no more than two (2) ranks thick. Most of the hydrostatic pressure is at the bottom of the pool/pond.
I always thought there would be pressure out also ,but maybe that is only when you get freeze and thaw .I know I lost a tank from that ,it froze and split the side out .Darn memory made me forget it was out there .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Time for a new contractor. At least bring one in for another opinion. This job is too important to have it done poorly.

And yeah, Usman, please have some respect for your fellow ponders.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@mgrillone This thread takes me back a few years to a discussion we had going -- regarding the best way to "brick" or support an above ground pond wall. It was a lively discussion, and there were a couple of members at odds....... But I do recall the main point was having proper support for the wall -- IOW, lots of rebar. And I think the thickness and all was dependent on the overall height of the wall and the amt. of water it would be supporting. Again, many opinions voiced. There was also some question as to whether the step-back type of construction would give enough support......

I'm not voicing an opinion one way or another, just that in the end, I think it boils down to footers and rebar.....and having someone do it who knows about pond construction.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true you don't want to put a lot of money out for something that will fail .I saw lots of you tube video's on above ground pond builds .Some of the retaining wall block do not step back they have pins to hold them in place .Not sure how sturdy they are either .My pond has a double wall one is block and the second is retaining wall block with foam insulation and gravel between ..But is your soil is sandy it would not pack like my heavy clay soil does .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
hey people who want to ignore , they are free to do and if any one dont get any thing they can ask .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Usman, not trying to be a testicular appendage here but do you think that you might dig down deep and try using some of the spelling and grammatical skills that were pounded into you, year after year, in grade school?

If you struggle with basic literacy, then please accept my heartfelt apologies for the slight.

You're on the verge on being tossed into my "ignore" bin solely on the basis that I struggle to read your gibberish, oftentimes thinking that you're writing in Swahili or some long-forgotten foreign tongue.
1st of all i was joking with him bcz he had tadpole pic earlier, then i frgot i am in an english test , English doesnot determine nor a parameter how intelegent you are Mr testicular, in this way more then half of the world must be ileterate for you ? u must be skipping Generalknowledge classes lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Time for a new contractor. At least bring one in for another opinion. This job is too important to have it done poorly.

And yeah, Usman, please have some respect for your fellow ponders.
im respectful Mr Chrisp , where do u find disrespect? wakeup

Ask a Question