Help with determining dimensions of new pond structure

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I can't speak for anyone else but I find it very difficult to read. As a result, I skip most of your posts.
Im sorry sir may be most of the people here are from older generation and are not fond of new modern ways and slangs perhaps thats the reason , altho every one understands me in chat rooms , IMs messengers , social media etc , i think generation gap , people here are either older or from different segment . your welcome to skip or ask me if you dont get me .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Im sorry sir may be most of the people here are from older generation and are not fond of new modern ways and slangs perhaps thats the reason , altho every one understands me in chat rooms , IMs messengers , social media etc , i think generation gap , people here are either older or from different segment . your welcome to skip or ask me if you dont get me .
Older generation person here.....

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
hey people who want to ignore

We will.
Just a reminder, this is not a chat room. This is a forum..a group of people that have come together to hopefully share knowledge and assist others. And any organized group of people will have accepted rules of participation, most of them common sense. It is unequivocally common sense that if for an individual to be helped, a response should be made in a form that is easily understood by them. Any individual who seeks help on the Forum has the unwritten expectation of receiving an intelligible answer.
Neither the world nor this Forum is here to conform to what you perceive as an acceptable form of written communication.
You are correct. It is a generational thing. We older folk still believe in what you call 'political correctness', only we know it better as basic respect of others and just plain manners.
I defy you to show me a legal document, scientific research paper, news media article or other form of written communication that is deemed important that is written in texting shorthand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
We will.
Just a reminder, this is not a chat room. This is a forum..a group of people that have come together to hopefully share knowledge and assist others. And any organized group of people will have accepted rules of participation, most of them common sense. It is unequivocally common sense that if for an individual to be helped, a response should be made in a form that is easily understood by them. Any individual who seeks help on the Forum has the unwritten expectation of receiving an intelligible answer.
Neither the world nor this Forum is here to conform to what you perceive as an acceptable form of written communication.
You are correct. It is a generational thing. We older folk still believe in what you call 'political correctness', only we know it better as basic respect of others and just plain manners.
I defy you to show me a legal document, scientific research paper, news media article or other form of written communication that is deemed important that is written in texting shorthand.
i thought u skip my comments?
I havent broken any forum rules , People who come to ask are understanding very well , you dont need to worry and dictate others how to write , i have my own style if u want to read then do , if not then dont , simple as that . if any one dont get it , they will ask , Stop assuming and judging others ! every one comming here is not an english grammer expert who is checking whether he used correct grammer or not , it shud be enuf to convey .
Just a reminder, this is not an English exam

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Guys, I agree that @Usman's chosen method of communication is annoying, but let's not hijack @mgrillone's thread any more than we have already. Time to get back to the question of building walls.

And maybe move to start another thread about forum etiquette......?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Guys, I agree that @Usman's chosen method of communication is annoying, but let's not hijack @mgrillone's thread any more than we have already. Time to get back to the question of building walls.

And maybe move to start another thread about forum etiquette......?
sure ur words are annoying for me too lol lets move on

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
1st of all i was joking with him bcz he had tadpole pic earlier, then i frgot i am in an english test , English doesnot determine nor a parameter how intelegent you are Mr testicular, in this way more then half of the world must be ileterate for you ? u must be skipping Generalknowledge classes lol

"intelegent" "ileterate" "more then"

Yup, into the bin with you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm seeing a lot of personal attacks here, which isn't nice. There is no forum rule relating to how good your English needs to be here, and goodness knows there are plenty of people here who make regular spelling errors. I agree that using text talk in a forum where no-one else does isn't the best way to communicate, but I don't think that's a reason to be nasty about it. Usman has been making a helpful contribution to this topic, but if the way he writes bothers you then you are welcome to ignore him.

I can understand some people being frustrated by my stance on this, so feel free to message me privately if you think I have been unfair here. However, let's not have any more discussion about it here - let's get things back on topic :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There is no way a 5' round brick pond needs to be 2 1/2' thick. I once saw a 10'x20' in ground swimming pool built out of cinder blocks and a mortar skim coat. Although, the blocks did have rebar and filled with concrete which would make a big difference. You could do the main structure out of cinder blocks, with rebar for tensile strength, filled with concrete, and then decorative block on the outside and top. That would put you at 1 foot thick. The rebar and concrete is probably overkill but would last a lifetime. Get a new bricklayer.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my block are not cemented they have rebar in them and then are packed hard with my red clay here .Benn that way since 2005 and never had a problem yet but my pond is half below ground and half above ground .The block are 3 rows high and then there is a cap block ontop of them that is 4 inch's thick and then liner goes over that and wood on top to hide the liner

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to thank everyone for being so kind to take the time to assist me with this issue. I have decided not to hire the brick guy since he clearly didn't understand one bit about pond building. I will build it myseelf.
There is no way a 5' round brick pond needs to be 2 1/2' thick. I once saw a 10'x20' in ground swimming pool built out of cinder blocks and a mortar skim coat. Although, the blocks did have rebar and filled with concrete which would make a big difference. You could do the main structure out of cinder blocks, with rebar for tensile strength, filled with concrete, and then decorative block on the outside and top. That would put you at 1 foot thick. The rebar and concrete is probably overkill but would last a lifetime. Get a new bricklayer.

Thank you! I appreciate everyone's efforts in assisting me with this dilemma. I have decided not to go with the guy who wanted to do a 2.5 ft wall and do it myself. With everyone's advice/input/suggestions I am feeling a bit more confident that I can do it myself. Wish me luck! LOL!

Reaction score
Country
United States
@mgrillone Don't leave us! We will need to follow you on this journey, and believe me, you're still gonna have lots of questions along the way. But glad for your decision to ditch the brick guy....

Thank you @Mmathis and @tbendl ! I appreciate the encouragement.

I am sooooo happy I found this forum! I built my first pond (underground pond) last year and I love it so much I decided to do a second one. Wish I had known about you guys back then! You guys are an amazing support group with an infinite amount of knowledge. I will definitely not leave..lol

@Mmathis you are very right I am sure there will be more questions along the way. I will post updates/additional questions to this thread as I embark on this journey. (y) Pretty sure I will begin with digging this weekend.

Last edited:

Ask a Question