Here we go -- FINALLY! A pond for wildlife...

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
People! We have a liner in the pond!!!!!!!
Yayyyyyyyy! I even got the overlay on and put the aqua blocks and pump vault in the intake bay. I started putting some egg rock around the edges to hold it in place but I had to stop. I was exhausted. But I think today was a turning point and major progress was made. Monday afternoon, I will backfill behind the intake bay so I can take those boards out and make my berm and shelf around that edge. After that, it will be time to start rocking!!!!!
Woohoo! Mazal tov!

Now the fun part begins...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Just a couple of pictures from today. You wouldn't think it would have taken the whole day, but it did. I stopped counting the wheelbarrows of rock I used to surround the aquablox and pump vault. I probably moved four wheelbarrows of red clay to backfill behind those boards. I tamped it all down so it's solid, then had a moment of panic when I tried to remove the boards. At first, they wouldn't budge. I finally got them out! Now my back and arms are sore and tired!

Attachments

• IMG_3523.jpg
    IMG_3523.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3526.jpg
    IMG_3526.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 32

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Looking really great! All those rocks should help with biological filtration as well as mechanical filtration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Looking really great! All those rocks should help with biological filtration as well as mechanical filtration.
Thank you! I am going to get started on the fun rocking today - the pretty part, hopefully! My pallets of rocks have been sitting there for so long, chipmunks have moved in. We see them scurrying around from out of our bedroom window. I just know I am going to grab for a rock and someone is going to jump out at me! :LOL:

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Well, better chipmunks than vipers! :cool:

Today I collected a few two-person rocks from way out in the Jerusalem Hills. I've been taking our guests around on the jeep trails for a couple of days, and kept seeing these great rocks along the way. But as the car was full of people I couldn't easily stop for them ("Hey folks, it's time to get out and haul some rocks!"). So today, hubby and I took a more leisurely drive through some of those same trails, stopping along the way for matzah, wine, and cheese. On our way back we picked up a few choice boulders, which are now sitting on the stairs at street level waiting to be brought down three flights of stairs to the back yard.

I think you and I are working almost in tandem on our pond builds at the moment!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I like your idea of a romantic date! Treats and rocks! My husband and I have done some driving around looking for limbs and logs. I use them to delineate the paths in my woods and I am looking for a perfect log for the pond!
Funny true story - when I was past due, pregnant with my first child, we went to a building site and collected rocks for our front yard garden beds. I was waaaaaaay pregnant, hauling rocks. (It worked! I went into labor that night!)

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I just know I am going to grab for a rock and someone is going to jump out at me!
I was weeding and loosening the mulch when I grabbed a mole with my hand. I never jumped so high, or scream so loud. Then I stood there laughing at myself. (And wondering if the neighbors saw and heard me. )

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I was weeding and loosening the mulch when I grabbed a mole with my hand. I never jumped so high, or scream so loud. Then I stood there laughing at myself. (And wondering if the neighbors saw and heard me. )
:LOL: Don't you wish you caught that on a security camera or something? You might have won 10k on America's Funniest Home Videos!

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I like your idea of a romantic date! Treats and rocks! My husband and I have done some driving around looking for limbs and logs. I use them to delineate the paths in my woods and I am looking for a perfect log for the pond!

Yep, that's my idea of a day well spent. But His Honor the Chef tends to cringe a bit when I take my little 4X4 down a steep-sided gully, slip-sliding on the boulders and yelling "Yeeehaw!" Sometimes I think he's lacking a spirit of adventure....

Funny true story - when I was past due, pregnant with my first child, we went to a building site and collected rocks for our front yard garden beds. I was waaaaaaay pregnant, hauling rocks. (It worked! I went into labor that night!)

Oh my! Yes, that would do it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have been outside for 2 1/2 hours. Guess what I was doing? NOT rocking. I started looking at my excess liner and decided to dig out a little bit more. I extended my shallow area out a ways - probably moved 4 or 5 cubic feet of dirt. NOW I will go back outside (after a lunch break) and get ready to play with rocks!!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Yep, that's my idea of a day well spent. But His Honor the Chef tends to cringe a bit when I take my little 4X4 down a steep-sided gully, slip-sliding on the boulders and yelling "Yeeehaw!" Sometimes I think he's lacking a spirit of adventure....

Oh my! Yes, that would do it!
His Honor the Chef -- I love it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Things happened this weekend!!!! We got the pump and check valve plumbed and in the pump vault!
I started moving big rocks into the pond. I only fell down once. :LOL: It's true, though. I was carrying a big watermelon-sized boulder and was doing ok - till my foot got tripped up by some underlayment. I had to drop the boulder - trying to launch it out and away from my body. Then I went down HARD directly on both knees. I think the slight padding of the two layers of underlayment and EPDM made enough of a cushion that I didn't get badly hurt. My back hurt last night from the jarring of the impact. Today I am OK. Whew!
It took me all day today to get those rocks in. I am kind of obsessing about where they will go and how they fit together. Trying to remind myself that they just need to be locked in enough to stay in place. They aren't for structure. That ground is solid. I like the look of rocks and I know that the ones in the deep end will fade away and not be very noticeable - so I don't have to be so picky. But it was very slow going because those dang rocks were HEAVY!
Since those photos were taken, we let the black pipe/hose sit out in the hot sun. It is more flexible now and I just went out to move it where it needs to go. I think I will be able to (mostly) disguise it with rocks. Plants will help, too.
Anyway - I've decided I have to get up and be outside working by 7:00. By 11:30, the sun is up over the trees and it is HOT on that black surface. It is supposed to be 85 tomorrow. Yuck. Too hot. And Spring has barely begun.
Here are a couple of pictures to prove my progress!

Attachments

• IMG_3564.jpg
    IMG_3564.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3565.jpg
    IMG_3565.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 29

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Wow! That's looking great! I love the way you've got everything fitting neatly together. Looks solid!

You've inspired me to get out and get rocking tomorrow (assuming no lingering ill effects from today's dust storm). Here too, the summer weather is moving in, so best rock while the rocking is good! I've really been dreading moving all those heavy boulders, but I think I've come up with an idea for a slide to get them into the pond, from whence I can roll them from place to place as needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Wow! That's looking great! I love the way you've got everything fitting neatly together. Looks solid!

You've inspired me to get out and get rocking tomorrow (assuming no lingering ill effects from today's dust storm). Here too, the summer weather is moving in, so best rock while the rocking is good! I've really been dreading moving all those heavy boulders, but I think I've come up with an idea for a slide to get them into the pond, from whence I can roll them from place to place as needed.
Thanks! I like your idea of a slide! My rock pallets are very near to the pond but even going that little distance is pretty difficult!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I watch my grandkids fall a dozen times a day and just get back up and keep moving - LIKE NOTHING EVEN HAPPENED. haha! Now it's a heart stopping moment when I fall - did I hurt myself? Can I walk? Is anything bleeding or broken? And most important of all - DID ANYONE SEE ME??

It's looking good @bagsmom ! I know what you mean by hot EPDM - we put ours in the pond in July when it was 104 degrees. Timing is everything people!

Ask a Question