heron attack hopefully stopped in time?

Reaction score
I realized last week that my favorite (of coarse) sushi koi is missing. I have fishing line strung all around the pond so I don't think it was the dreaded GBH. I did see a red fox run through the yard last week. Do foxes hunt and eat fish? Also, my wonderful neighbor has been feeding feral cats in the neighborhood. Do you think a feral cat would catch and eat a fish?

Reaction score
Thanks for condolences stroppy. Do you have Great Blue Herons in the UK? Do you other kinds of predators on the other side of the pond that we don't here?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
oh yes we have the heron !! and what i think is called an egret (small white looking heron)
some i think have problems from the hawk family but i have never seen one around my pond ... we dont have the problems of racoons like you do .. mind you i think they are rather cute (but not in your ponds)

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
stroppy said:
oh yes we have the heron !! and what i think is called an egret (small white looking heron)
some i think have problems from the hawk family but i have never seen one around my pond ... we dont have the problems of racoons like you do .. mind you i think they are rather cute (but not in your ponds)

We have egrets and GBH here. They look very similar.

Reaction score
I think I am being attacked by a king fisher. I have lost one fish that I know of. My largest goldfish (about 16 inches long) has a straight gash on one side and another fish has the same gash on both sides. It looks like something tried to get it but they were too big to pick up. This makes me think it was not a GBH but rather something small. I can't think of anything other than a king fisher. Anyone know what it could be?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
couldnt say for sure..but a king fisher may be the culprit... but i can happily announce that its been what..11 weeks since the heron has visited my yard, but i still see him in the area often. so "pain association" apparently teaches them where to NOT hunt!

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
couldnt say for sure..but a king fisher may be the culprit... but i can happily announce that its been what..11 weeks since the heron has visited my yard, but i still see him in the area often. so "pain association" apparently teaches them where to NOT hunt!

Just had to read the whole of this thread, so sorry for you guys, it must be a nightmare having to deal with them bloody things!!

Maybe living in the UK isnt that bad.............

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
it doesnt matter where you live theres critters and/or some type of bird(s) that like fish and will look at your poind as a meal ticket. they are there, just havent found your pond yet or been able to access it . count your blessings......

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Make a PVC frame with plastic fencing material and tie wraps. It only takes a few seconds to remove and replace.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
In the area I live, I am surrounded by 900 acres of marsh and lagoon. We have critters and birds galore and a HUGE deer population. I bought a Scarecrow a few months ago. It scares away even the tiniest of birds from my pond (which is kind of sad) but it also keeps the deer from eating my water lilies, and the racoons, opossums, cats, herons, etc. away from the fish. Really worth the $ I spent. As an added bonus, it also sprays the solicitors coming to the front door!

Ask a Question