Heron Stop

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If the netting is too close to the water, the birds can still do damage. A heron will spear fish with its beak and I have had fish with gouge marks from hawks that hit the net and couldn't get fish out. My net is at least 18" above water level.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have a blue heron that visits my pond every now and then for the couple of years. I thought the plants covering the plants would be enough to deter him, but he was back yesterday. I thought he got all my fish again, but at least some of them were smart or scared enough to hide. I know they sell decoys, but I was wondering if a pond spitter/fountain sprayer type thing might deter him. Any suggestions??

This is the winter but if you see the blue heron in the corner, since I put him there, I never lost another koi ....
IMG_7952.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a blue heron that visits my pond every now and then for the couple of years. I thought the plants covering the plants would be enough to deter him, but he was back yesterday. I thought he got all my fish again, but at least some of them were smart or scared enough to hide. I know they sell decoys, but I was wondering if a pond spitter/fountain sprayer type thing might deter him. Any suggestions??
I tried the netting to stop my bird friend from wiping out my pond every year. Before that, I had the "Scarecrow" sprinkler and used a few other suggestions. Nothing worked except the netting, but, for me, it ruined the whole pond experience. So, two years ago, I put the Koi Kastle in my pond and the heron has been thwarted so far.
It's a metal half-cylinder that just sits in the bottom of the pond. When the bird approaches, the fish hide in their Kastle. I can tell when we've had a visitor because they are reluctant to come out for a couple days. It's worked for me, isn't very expensive, and doesn't block the view of our pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I tried the netting to stop my bird friend from wiping out my pond every year. Before that, I had the "Scarecrow" sprinkler and used a few other suggestions. Nothing worked except the netting, but, for me, it ruined the whole pond experience. So, two years ago, I put the Koi Kastle in my pond and the heron has been thwarted so far.
It's a metal half-cylinder that just sits in the bottom of the pond. When the bird approaches, the fish hide in their Kastle. I can tell when we've had a visitor because they are reluctant to come out for a couple days. It's worked for me, isn't very expensive, and doesn't block the view of our pond.

I use the netting for fall leaves and when there's a thaw, I take it down. The heron in the back seems to be the deterrent since they're territorial!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think the common thread with herons is sometimes things work, sometimes they don't. And sometimes they work for a short time and then stop working. People say they are territorial, but I've walked by our natural ponds and seen half a dozen standing within feet of each other in water up to their knees, all patiently waiting for a nice snack to swim by. They also all nest in close proximity of each others so I'm not sure how territorial they can be.

All I know is they are smart, patient, and pretty much fearless - especially where they have no reason to fear predation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have to agree there will not be a net over my pond I worked hard to create a natural looking pond stream and bog . i'll not ruin it all with a net. I have not only a place to hide but all but one are a tunnel the fish don't have to come out where they went in. it's not to say they know better and will avoid such but it's a 50 50 chance they will avoid where they had an issue from a bird OR ME I have been trying to catch my starter fish and the fish know when something is close to the edge of the pond they hide they go to anyone of 6 places in the pond and yes it makes if very hard on me but so far a heron flies over head at least twice a day as there is a pond across the street they fish at all day . since I have been trying to catch them I haven't had one disappear yet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think the common thread with herons is sometimes things work, sometimes they don't. And sometimes they work for a short time and then stop working. People say they are territorial, but I've walked by our natural ponds and seen half a dozen standing within feet of each other in water up to their knees, all patiently waiting for a nice snack to swim by. They also all nest in close proximity of each others so I'm not sure how territorial they can be.

All I know is they are smart, patient, and pretty much fearless - especially where they have no reason to fear predation.
It's not that they are territorial but they will defend a fish spot that they are working or that they are witing for say the tides to shift. A smaller bird may be tolerated for a while but eventually with blues anyways they will eventually chase off rivals. White egrets will fish along side one another but they too eventually will show aggression.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have dogs. The trick will be keeping one out of it, he’s 1/4 husky, 1/4 jack Russell, loves water like a duck, and I’ve caught him chewing glass like a goat. Yes, glass. He broke a cup and chewed on the pieces. Crazy dog. I’ll have to make sure he can’t get in the pond to muck it up. So I’m sure herons won’t be an issue here.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Herons hit me and ripped up plants and ate most of my fish. I was devastated. I netted the pond and then the Shags hit. Tore through the net, swam into the hiding caves and again got most of my fish, all my favourites. A week after getting a new dog one of the Shags landed between the kennel and the pond. Pupper nearly got it and no more threat, Haven't seen any since. We still get the occasional snake or Kookaburra but they don't cause the devastation. Nothing touches my Mums pond, she has a Dachshund.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Sisha I think you're the first to mention "shags" on this forum! I have no idea what that is. I will say that I've never heard of herons ripping up plants - they are pretty clean hunters in my experience. That sounds more like raccoons. But maybe you have a special breed there, wherever you are!

@JamieB - are your dogs outside dogs? If so, you may have a heron deterrent - if not, I wouldn't rely on them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Sisha I think you're the first to mention "shags" on this forum! I have no idea what that is. I will say that I've never heard of herons ripping up plants - they are pretty clean hunters in my experience. That sounds more like raccoons. But maybe you have a special breed there, wherever you are!

@JamieB - are your dogs outside dogs? If so, you may have a heron deterrent - if not, I wouldn't rely on them.

I'm so lucky. On long Island, I haven't seen a heron around since one caught it's leg in a fence on the side of my home. Racoons seem to stay away though we have them. I've seen a family walking in front of my house at night going down the sewer rain runoff and into the creek. My home is completely fenced in.

Where are you with all these attacks? Sounds like a racoon to me also!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

We have both right now. But as the two pups will stay outside as their job is guard dog! The smaller one is the alarm, he sounds off at every little thing. Buddy is the tank. He kicks butt.

Ask a Question