Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wait I found this on our Washington state site:
https://wdfw.wa.gov/wildwatch/heroncam/heron_facts.html

Other techniques are observed more rarely: for example, great blue herons in flight sometimes dive underwater to catch fish; others hover over the water and submerge their heads to catch fish; and some swim in deep water and feed on fish found near the surface.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This tape has worked here for the last 15 months at deterring blue herons:
307B7162-A6A9-403C-AB09-049592D85E5D.jpeg
Now we’re losing fish periodically to this barred owl, in the middle of the night:
A405D550-0221-430B-9FFF-8CD2AED1DCA0.jpeg
With the exception of netting our whole pond, I’ve found nothing is a “sure thing” at deterring predators. In time, they adapt to perceived threats. If you’re not willing to install a net, mixing up your tactics every year or two is probably the most effective deterrent.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
great blue love birds (1 of 1).JPG
I'm not a betting man but I would put money that in your first video that's a fast flowing shallow water about 2 foot deep and the blue is running on the bottom/ swimming as the current is pushing him down stream .I have spent many hours watching them with the camera and I have never seen them swim when they do get in water over there head it is less then graceful as they try to pull the wings up out of the water. They will stand in water where barely any of their back is out of the water and then throw their neck down stabbing for a fish they are under water for a brief moment but they do not swim on or under. at least non of the blues on the east coast

Last edited:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with Gbbudd, I’ve never seen GBH’s swim, at least not on purpose. Only times I see them swim or more like flopping around in the water, is when an osprey knocks one into the river. I work in the Chesapeake Bay and it’s tributaries, so get to see wildlife every day, a nice perk of the job.

Fortunately, cormorants where I am located don’t seem to venture from the Bay and rivers feeding into the bay. Otherwise, they could clean a pond out quickly. Something in my area has changed in twenty years as I never saw cormorants growing up, but now they are everywhere, almost as prevalent as seagulls.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree with Gbbudd, I’ve never seen GBH’s swim, at least not on purpose. Only times I see them swim or more like flopping around in the water, is when an osprey knocks one into the river. I work in the Chesapeake Bay and it’s tributaries, so get to see wildlife every day, a nice perk of the job.

Fortunately, cormorants where I am located don’t seem to venture from the Bay and rivers feeding into the bay. Otherwise, they could clean a pond out quickly. Something in my area has changed in twenty years as I never saw cormorants growing up, but now they are everywhere, almost as prevalent as seagulls.
Wait until you see a FLOCK of comerants flying south it's a site to see almost like a flock of black birds there had to be five hundred in one flock.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Sounds pretty cool to see. That’s a lot of birds.....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've never seen them swim either but all I know @GBBUDD is what the Washington Dept of Wildlife quoted below: https://wdfw.wa.gov/wildwatch/heroncam/heron_facts.html

Other techniques are observed more rarely: for example, great blue herons in flight sometimes dive underwater to catch fish; others hover over the water and submerge their heads to catch fish; and some swim in deep water and feed on fish found near the surface.

Maybe only Washington Herons are fearless and will do anything for a fish :smuggrin:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I actually have my ponds between the trees and the house, and then I run twine back and forth from the trees to the house, high above my head, to block the path of the blue heron, as he has a very large wing spread. Then I dangle all kinds of stuff from the twine to further block the blue herons access to the ponds.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a blue heron that visits my pond every now and then for the couple of years. I thought the plants covering the plants would be enough to deter him, butN he was back yesterday. I thought he got all my fish again, but at least some of them were smart or scared enough to hide. I know they sell decoys, but I was wondering if a pond spitter/fountain sprayer type thing might deter him. Any suggestions??
I Have two British Shorthair cats that patrol my pond area- that stopped the Heron!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Jill British cats you say? Are they really a breed of cat or is it just because they live in Britain?

Ask a Question