Holding tanks for the winter

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve been looking and I’m kinda new to this. Last year my koi were small enough to go into my fish tank for the winter. This year they can not. I want to set up something in my basement. Was looking at pools and holding tanks. But I need ideas. Can holding tanks and show tanks last all winter. My pond is not deep enough and I’ll have a heart attack if I keep them out all winter. Thank you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you. I live in New York. Buffalo ny actually. I moved in to the house with it so I don’t know the exact gallons but I think it’s about 600-700 gallons. A little past my knee.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

I hate to say it, you will eventually need to rehome your koi, that is under the size they recommend for just one koi.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do plan on moving and expanding it. Right now I need to know what is a good thing to keep them in during the winter .thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can get a water trough or stock tank to put them in for winter. I would avoid the galvanized ones. Tanks vary in size so you can find something that would easily work.

If you have the room, many folks use Intex pools in their garages for wintering their fish. Those also come in a variety of sizes and hold up well inside. I use a couple for fish inside and for water lilies outside and they work well. I prefer the ones with plastic leg supports instead of the ones with the air bladder at the top. I'm afraid those would leak out the air and the pool would collapse.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am using an Intex pool outside as a temp holding place for some of my GF until we get our pond dug. It’s the kind with the inflatable ring. Yes, not perfect for outdoors, but miraculously has lasted over a year. That would be a good choice for a temporary indoor holding area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The filters are pretty useless, especially for fish. I do use the filter for the lily pool, but there are no fish in there, and I only use it to circulate the water. That seems to discourage mosquitoes from breeding in there. I even threw out the paper filter that comes with it since it clogs in a matter of minutes.

I added a lot of filtration for the pool with the fish. If you could move the filter and pump that you already have, that would work, if it it adequate.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1598890879911.gif
@Amyrae886

Ask a Question