How Would You Filter It?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have the equivalent to the poly strapping in my filter and once it gets seeded I have no issues at all. If you were closer I would give you some taro to try, I probably have 50 of them and started out with 3 5 years ago and that is after giving them away every spring to family and friends. They produce so many off shoots every year and are very quick growers.

Reaction score
Thanks, I don't have them yet but there's a couple of guys on monsterfishkeepers who sell them
In bulk for about 15 cents a piece but if you buy in bulk you can get them for cheaper. What do Ou have instead of strapping and is you filter a up flow. Thanks

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks. The strapping I have is what came with my savio filter, can't remember what it is called but it is green and looks just like poly strapping. My filter is and up filter with a clean out drain in the bottom, great for cleaning it out every few weeks.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Go to my web page and look at the stuff I am using. Less than $25 and is easier to use than strapping. Mine has bee in use for 2 years and it does fine.

Reaction score
Im sure yours works fine for you but Ive heard from several others that it didnt work for them, and I may still use it but Im looking at a few other options. Thanks

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If the filter is made right, it will work.
Who are these experts that can't get anerobic bacteria to grow on plastic?

Reaction score
Id give you their names, but niether of them are on this forum. Both have experience with ponds and DIY filters. Im afraid it wont work fo me since I do get the swirl.

Reaction score
Dr. Dave, I'm sorry for being pedantic, but the nitrifying bacteria growing in my filter are aerobic, not anaerobic. After all, the conversion of ammonia to nitrate is an oxidation, right? I only mention this because I have seen them called anaerobic before, and the biology professor (retired) in me can't stand to see this go uncorrected.

That said, someone has to be pretty incompetent to be unable to grow these bugs on whatever media they provide. These little dudes stick to anything you provide. And what does the swirl have to do with it clemsonguy?

Reaction score
The swirl is what work to stop larger particles, with fence, they would just go back out the output but with strapping they would get caught, but I guess I could but a layer of scrubbies at the bottom? So I may end up using fencing. Im just not sure it just depends on pricing really. If I cant get strapping or a good deal of scrubbies Ill go with fencing. Thanks to everybody for answering all my questions.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you would go to my page an take a good look, you would see the swirl is designed to be below the fencing that is supported by the PVC frame.

Reaction score
Why not just adjust your pipes until you get a swirl? You have a round container, don't you?

Why should fence be different from strapping in stopping particles? They both have lots of open space, don't they?

If you want mechanical filtration at the bottom of your filter, you could use matala, a floor scrubbing pad, or one of those reusable air filters that are similar.

Ask a Question