I feel like Im going in the wrong direction.....

Reaction score
Country
United States
maybe Im heading in the right direction now....

1)added a 2-3" lip around the top perimeter to prevent run off
2)notched out a mini shelf on the top perimeter for rock placement
3)trimmed the first shelf back several inches and attempted to slope it
4)depth is appx 38"

Am I on the right track now?

I think I was able to get the waterfall in the correct position to allow it to trickle down some rocks then drop into the pond. With the all adjustments I made, the pond dimensions are 12'x9'x38". Pond calculators are telling me that my 15x20' liner is fine and will still provide roughly 6" of overlap.

New questions....
1)Is the liner supposed to go all the way to the base of the waterfall? If so, should I buy another small liner to cover the waterfall area?
2)Its normal to bury the hose connections heading to the waterfall right? In one area I have maybe 12" of soil over the hose. The hose is the reinforced kink free hose from webbs. It shouldn't collapse right? Ill try to avoid placing boulders over the line
3)I picked as many rocks as I could from the base and I will be using underlayment. But not matter how much I pick, new rocks area. Should I purchase some bags of sand to provide a smooth base?

I was able to find someone local who dismantled a pond and picked up all these rocks fro 60$. Great price compared to the local nursery

Attachments

• 20190805_113644.jpg
    20190805_113644.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 189
  • 20190805_113654.jpg
    20190805_113654.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 215
  • 20190805_113705.jpg
    20190805_113705.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 201
  • 20190805_113716.jpg
    20190805_113716.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 221
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yes, you need liner under your waterfall. Try to form the soil under it as to guide the water so it can only flow toward the pond. Slope it and form a concave shape. This way if any water gets between or behind the stones, it can only return to the pond. Create some shelves to support your waterfall stones to sit on. Then place your liner over it. Tilt those stones slightly toward the pond. Stack the stones like a brick wall to lock them in. Use smooth flat stones. It's better if your pond and falls liner is one piece, but many have used two. Just make sure you get good overlap. Some have used roofing cement to stick them together. I think it's called PL roofing cement.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Be careful with some of those new stones i can see some sharp edges it doesn't take much to cut rubber.

The pl adhesive your looking for i believe is the PL S30 roofing & flashing. Roofing cement often times relates to a asphalt based tar DO NOT USE THAT. The s30 is a polyurethane base sealant very strong. i just tried the gorilla equivalent we will see how it does.

Very rarely have i seen anyone say i got my rocks / boulders and then cut my shelves to fit the rocks. That's the way i did my pond it was just a big erector set.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The pl adhesive your looking for i believe is the PL S30 roofing & flashing. Roofing cement often times relates to a asphalt based tar DO NOT USE THAT. The s30 is a polyurethane base sealant very strong. i just tried the gorilla equivalent we will see how it does.
Good info! I'll have to remember that one. PL-S30, Asphalt= no, polyurethane = yes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, you need liner under your waterfall. Try to form the soil under it as to guide the water so it can only flow toward the pond. Slope it and form a concave shape. This way if any water gets between or behind the stones, it can only return to the pond. Create some shelves to support your waterfall stones to sit on. Then place your liner over it. Tilt those stones slightly toward the pond. Stack the stones like a brick wall to lock them in. Use smooth flat stones. It's better if your pond and falls liner is one piece, but many have used two. Just make sure you get good overlap. Some have used roofing cement to stick them together. I think it's called PL roofing cement.

It looks like I only need another 5 feet of liner to cover the waterfall area. I wish I would of known and I could have bought the 20x20 instead of 15x20. Returning a 100lb liner isn't practical so Ill have to glue another liner to what I have.

Good tips on the rock layout for the waterfall

Be careful with some of those new stones i can see some sharp edges it doesn't take much to cut rubber.

Very rarely have i seen anyone say i got my rocks / boulders and then cut my shelves to fit the rocks. That's the way i did my pond it was just a big erector set.

I was picturing in my head to use the stones I purchased for the top/outermost perimeter. They wont be hanging over the pond so Im not worried about them making contact with the liner. A local nursery wants 185$ for a ton of boulders. These things weigh 60-100 pounds which will probably give me 25 boulders. Since I decided not to line the entire pond with rocks, Im not sure if I should use these boulders for the first shelf followed by smaller rocks on top and placed on that mini shelf to hide the liner.

Attachments

• 20190804_124459.jpg
    20190804_124459.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 175
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A nursery is the first place people look for rocks . And find out it's also the most expensive. It's probably t late for your project but for others thinking about building keep your eyes open on new developments or a single home even building an addition MANY builders look for the nearest place to dump such materials. If the trucking to the local nursery or sand and gravel yard is twice the distance but they would get only a few dollars or even get charged to dump there rocks. I was lucky i was the builder and got a ton of rocks. ranging from 2 to 4" 6 to 8" and basketball sized boulder that i used in the bog. and larger boulders for the side walls of the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Gbbudd2

This stuff?
Thats the stuff i have seen many here use yes. i prefer M1 from my local commercial roofing supplier. But anything from loctite is a good product i have never had any issues with there products. Other then trying to remove a screw i applied locktite to and cursed myself as i fought to get the screw loose.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A nursery is the first place people look for rocks . And find out it's also the most expensive. It's probably t late for your project but for others thinking about building keep your eyes open on new developments or a single home even building an addition MANY builders look for the nearest place to dump such materials. If the trucking to the local nursery or sand and gravel yard is twice the distance but they would get only a few dollars or even get charged to dump there rocks. I was lucky i was the builder and got a ton of rocks. ranging from 2 to 4" 6 to 8" and basketball sized boulder that i used in the bog. and larger boulders for the side walls of the pond.

I didnt buy any boudlers yet. Still pricing them. Good call on the home building sites. Theres several homes being built on a new block around the corner from me. Ill take a walk over and look

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in the process of putting the finishing touches on the pond before I put down the liner. But I have a few concerns. First, all of these rocks that are embedded in the soil are impossible to completely get rid of. The base of the pond is relatively clear and I'm going to put down some sand so not really worried about the base. However, the walls have lots of rocks in them (as you can see from the pic) and I can't keep removing them because it keeps removing more wall dirt and shrinking the shelves.

Second, you can see in the picture that I have a tree right behind where the waterfall is. I have maybe three roots roughly 1/4" thick that I have trimmed back flush with the wall. These roots are literally growing horizontal and I'm concerned that they may grow through the liner in time. Is this going to be a problem as well?

I will be using underlayment. Anything else I can use in addition to the underlayment to hopefully prevent these roots from causing a problem before I put the liner?

Attachments

• 20190808_140821.jpg
    20190808_140821.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 20190808_140847.jpg
    20190808_140847.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 174
Reaction score
Country
United States
Old Carpet or pad works great for underlayment.
Yes I've heard that. Should I be adding double or triple layers of underlayment in these areas where I have roots that could potentially grow through my liner? Will multiple layers help?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
I got all my rocks for free...........I found a dump site where landscapers dump their leftovers

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Concerning the roots. Maybe you can cover that area with something ridgid. Maybe plywood or there's a flooring product that is cement based that is called hardy backer board. It will probably outlast plywood. You can buy it in various thicknesses at hardware stores, Home Depot or Lowe's.
Then a layer of carpet, carpet padding or underlayment. I would make sure I cover the area well beyond where the roots are at this time. They will probably spread out once they hit the board.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The more layers of under-lament because of your rocks the better. If you have it then use it as it can't hurt.

Ask a Question