Ideas for waterfall rebuild please

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ahhh that is a good point. I always see not for marine use or not intended for constant immersion or something like that. I guess I could try it.
i know the depot know carries a marine grade caulking i saw it yesterday but i didn't see who made it or the specifics but if it is marine its going to be good stuff. im sure pricey but good stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Ya, I saw some at Canadian tire too and even at Walmart I think but even those say they aren’t meant for continuous underwater. Makes no sense but as you say if it doesn’t do the trick it’s not the end of the world and I can move on to try something else

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if it says marine it should be for complete immersion

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Do you mean the EPDM liner is porous enough to wick water out of the pond?

Just to clarify: no, the EPDM liner isn't porous. Rather, what happens is that folding the liner creates a hollow straw-like structure. Because water molecules bond to other water molecules more strongly than they bond to other materials, the water gradually "climbs" up the straw. This is called capillary action. If the fold is in a place where the water level inside this straw can fall over the edge and out of the pond, you'll have a leak.

When I first built my pond, I was aware of capillary action, but I did make a different mistake, which may be worth looking into in your case as well. That is that I had a fold that came over the side, then dipped back down below water level.

Here is the thread that explains the issue: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/beginners-mistake-in-liner-folding.31272/#post-495341

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
She also did a kind of upright accordian fold - which probably makes no sense unless you see her do it. I am still trying to find the find so I can share a link on here.
I think this is the video you're looking for:

The edging bit comes at around 8:26 in the video. Some great edging tips there!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b

YES!!!!! Thank you for finding that!!!!! It was a collaboration between companies. I had forgotten that. That's why I couldn't find it. THANK YOU! (I was making myself nuts looking for it.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada

Thank you, I will take a look at this today. I’m just perplexed though, I don’t see any wet spots on the soil aren’t the pond anywhere, that kind of makes me think there’sa hole in the line and the water is going underneath it. But who knows, I definitely want to get the edging better too

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Shut everything down one by one process by ilimination. Where ever the water drops the leak is there somewhere. The nice thing about water it Will show you where the leak is in height as one it stops dropping your now below where the leak is.
The exceptions are wicking and two leaks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Thanks again for all your help. Unfortunately I had done that before I even started this thread. I thought I had it figured out on 3 separate occasions.. coincidentally that’s once in each element of the pond. First suspect was the waterfall then the waterfall plumbing even dug up the piping from the pump all the way to the waterfall.. all good then used a bypass hose to keep the whole system going but take the waterfall out of the loop. Then I bypassed the bog and that’s where I thought I found it because everything stayed up , put it back in the loop and the label went down again. I emptied all the gravel from the bog and next day it was half full again… how. No rain or anything… how! Lol anyway, I typed it up and it seems to be stating that way so it was either the gravel was higher than the liner (which it was a little) and water was whicking on the gravel or somehow the water lever was getting hugger than I can fill it to now and the problem is there. Anyway going to build my under gravel manifolds and put it all back together…fingers crossed

Ask a Question