addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is right outside my patio door, basement door, stick head out change done. Also has manual feed which I use when raccoons etc cause leak issues. With all the critters we have, frogs, toads, birds etc we don't have mosquitoes that I notice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Mine is right outside my patio door, basement door, stick head out change done. Also has manual feed which I use when raccoons etc cause leak issues. With all the critters we have, frogs, toads, birds etc we don't have mosquitoes that I notice.
In Florida, things that kill mosquitos really just make them angry. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
So bucket sealed. When I reconnected, both unions were leaking, had to really tighten them, then they stopped. Plumbed up the fill pipe with a check valve to hook into the soon to be revised sprinkler system.

Skimmer + Bucket seems to hold water. I filled until all the holes were covered in bucket, and used a vinyl tube to connect the "fill port" to the skimmer for my water test. In an hour there was no measurable loss of water. Before there would have been.

So I filled to the near top of the skimmer and running the bog filtration system. We will see if in the morning the water is still there, or at least has dropped an "acceptable" amount from splash, etc.

If this did not solve it, then it's bog by bog testing.

The flow to the urn is unacceptably low, while the water in the pre-filter bucket is full. There is either a problem in the piping or in the pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Okay, so came out this morning and urns were still running. Previously sighing 3-4 hours the level dropped and they shut off.

Still decent water loss, but in the range I find to be reasonable with this much splash and plants.

I may still tests the bogs one by one and flash/sealant around the connections on the two bogs that I haven’t done that on, but I am pretty certain that I am not leaking and this is reasonable needed irrigation for the plants.

Going to start adding a few sword plants inside the pond and get some fish!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are plugs you can buy that can stop the water flow into your pipes plug them . Shut down the pumps air stones etc . Let the water drop. when it stops dropping somewhere along that level is at is your leak or at least one of your leaks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
So overnight, it seemed to hold all the water. (From 8 PM - 7 AM, virtually no drop). During the day, in the heat, it dropped a few inches, and held at a lower level.

My suspicion is that where the gasket closes on the skimmer has a small leak when it's hot (95 degrees plus) as the temperature shifts.

Going to put a small bead of marine sealant around the inside and outside of the gasket, that should solve that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Went and put sealant everywhere. Determined that the urn low flow is low flow coming out of pipe. Now I have to tell if it's a kink in the 1" flex PVC (doubtful) or the pump (most likely).

Going to swap a different pump in and see if it solves my problem.

Exciting to have the pond working, water flowing, people stopping to admire. I'll let everything settle for a week (maybe get some plants for in the pond) or so and start adding some fish. Want to repot the lillies into larger flat bottom pots, but now I'm gardening and not construction work!

Ask a Question