addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine never really bloomed well, tried them one year and never again. Have way to many other plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
No blooms here in northeastern Pennsylvania. And they haven't bloomed in years.
I'm thinking they don't get enough sun with all the trees we have.
There's plenty of nutrients since it's quite overpopulated. So it must be lack of enough direct sunlight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
no blooms here in Mich, either, and we've had more than enough sun+humidity. I did put them in late and they were small; only now do they have any growth and spread to them but I've routinely had little luck getting them to bloom other than maybe a couple per bunch. Shame, as they really are great looking flowers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wish I knew the secret! They're so pretty when they bloom and it's like the bloom comes out of nowhere!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That's what makes the blooms so special - not only do they look absolutely & beautifully amazing, they're random & only pop up when we're not looking too hard or expecting too much! lol

What I noticed is this - I got a few blooms out of the ones plopped in the upper pool. This is a shallow, flow-through area at the upper level of our pond. But, last month I had some extras that I was about to remove/toss out & put a couple in the 'plant & rock tray' in our biofall. THESE ones are those that went crazy with blooms. Maybe it was being so close to the area that is 'force fed'? The ones a few feet away in the upper pool are HUGE/TALL, but only randomly blooming - it's those right over where the water is being pumped into that are going nuts.

I'll try the same experiment next year, but for now... I'll just enjoy the show!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
no blooms here in Mich, either, and we've had more than enough sun+humidity. I did put them in late and they were small; only now do they have any growth and spread to them but I've routinely had little luck getting them to bloom other than maybe a couple per bunch. Shame, as they really are great looking flowers.
Also in Michigan but practically all of my water hyacinth bloomed this year. Odd!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Also in Michigan but practically all of my water hyacinth bloomed this year. Odd!
can you describe your exact setup? When placed, any additional fertilizing, crowded, etc? I know someone on GPF suggested they'd bloom more if placed more on the back/in wet soil as opposed to floating, so I tried that but so far no difference, imo.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Mine that can touch the gravel (ie in the shallow pool in our pondless waterfall) seem to bloom more frequently, but this year the ones in our patio pond have bloomed as well. I've never had one bloom in the actual pond though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I’ve seen them bloom in PA at the nearby plant store. They just have to be in complete sun all the time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I’ve seen them bloom in PA at the nearby plant store. They just have to be in complete sun all the time.

It has to be more than that. I've been growing them in the same three spots for years - sometimes they bloom, sometimes they don't.

I personally dislike them. They enable mosquitoes to hide from fish.

And couldn't you say the same about any plant? They aren't unique in any way when it comes to mosquitoes. Not trying to make you like them - just wondering why you singled them out as mosquito hiders!

Ask a Question