IS Ponding a dying hobby?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The reality of this is that many people are just not in a position to make a quick trip down to the States to pick up the items cheaper and bring them back. I think retailers up here are counting on people not wanting to bother with the extra time involved to drive down and deal with whatever hassles at the border bringing things back.

Reaction score
I've been ponding for 30 years now I think I may have 30 years left and I meet more and more people interested in ponds. I think like all hobbies they come and go.

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I really should pay more attention to comments. Based on post #45 and your avatar, I thought you were a farmer.

You missing out on tons of great deals on Ebay. I been a member since 2005 and bought and sold lots of goods, mostly military items.

MitchM said:
I'm not a farmer, but I guess my avatar is deceiving, lol.

I'd love to drop-KICK United Parcel Service sometimes! :lol:

Reaction score
For years I have wanted a pond. We have a spring that runs year round and I thought maybe I would try to make one over there but its about 100 ft from the side of our house and I didn't think that would work well cause I would like to see it with out going that far. So we ended up digging a pond in our front yard, I can see my fish swimming when I look out my window :) and I love it. I also have saltwater fish and corals and by far the pond is cheaper to have then my pond.

Reaction score
if things turn really dark in this country, my plan is to switch the pond and flower garden into an aquaponics system with veggies and talipia.

all the pond keeping skills I've learned here will be put to my survivalist skills!

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Why wait. Get started now by diverting a bit of your pond water through some aquaponics beds with plants that look good around the pond. You might even sneak in something you can eat.

I picked up some pearlite for medium just have not gotten to it as there are many irons in the fire. Maybe it will happen next spring.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
our area (Washington DC and about 70 miles around it) is growing, thanks to big government. I've been watching the area for years now and there are distinct bands around the city.

Within the city itself, there are older and new gentrified areas with not much space except for maybe a bucket pond so the city itself is out.

Then there's the older established areas that's been there 100 years and there you will find the most ponds, perhaps the older people living there.

Then about 30 miles out are all the new suburbs, put in place in the last maybe 30 years and many in last 10 years as you go further out.

These areas tend to be settled by younger people in their 20s and 30s. I moved in the outer belt in my mid 40s so I was one of the oldest percentage wise, maybe top 5 or 10% and now 12 years have passed so I'm in late 50s.

These youngsters who are now in 30s and 40s, work in mostly IT and intell fields in government as goveys and contractors. They live a busy life with long commutes and stressful lives and don't seem to have time to do much more than mowing their manicured lawns. Most don't even have small gardens, much less ponds.

For recreation, ponding has been replaced by facebook and tweeting and they're largely insulated from the natural world, even though it seems they moved out from the city to enjoy a yard and some nature.

This probably didn't answer the question, but in general, ponding seems to be being taken up by the retired people. When the youngsters today reach retirement age, I'm not sure they will take up ponding. I'll define youngster as younger than baby boomers born in 1965 and younger, maybe even 1955 and younger

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh and if the add the commuter train that part of VA near Washington will get bigger .I go through there on my way to NJ and more traffic and more homes every time I go up .

brc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Hmm.. I'm building a pond at my house, at 33.

I don't think it's so much a generation thing, or ponds falling out of fashion, as a question of cost. My guess is, just about anyone with the space would love to have a well-done pond in their yard. It's just not common that younger people have enough money to spend so much on one landscaping project. There are too many other needs and wants on the list, especially if you have kids.

SE18 said:
our area (Washington DC and about 70 miles around it) is growing, thanks to big government. I've been watching the area for years now and there are distinct bands around the city.

Within the city itself, there are older and new gentrified areas with not much space except for maybe a bucket pond so the city itself is out.

Then there's the older established areas that's been there 100 years and there you will find the most ponds, perhaps the older people living there.

Then about 30 miles out are all the new suburbs, put in place in the last maybe 30 years and many in last 10 years as you go further out.

These areas tend to be settled by younger people in their 20s and 30s. I moved in the outer belt in my mid 40s so I was one of the oldest percentage wise, maybe top 5 or 10% and now 12 years have passed so I'm in late 50s.

These youngsters who are now in 30s and 40s, work in mostly IT and intell fields in government as goveys and contractors. They live a busy life with long commutes and stressful lives and don't seem to have time to do much more than mowing their manicured lawns. Most don't even have small gardens, much less ponds.

For recreation, ponding has been replaced by facebook and tweeting and they're largely insulated from the natural world, even though it seems they moved out from the city to enjoy a yard and some nature.

This probably didn't answer the question, but in general, ponding seems to be being taken up by the retired people. When the youngsters today reach retirement age, I'm not sure they will take up ponding. I'll define youngster as younger than baby boomers born in 1965 and younger, maybe even 1955 and younger

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not just cost people don't want to take the time for them .They want easy fixes ,like crystal clear water with no work involved .Gosh I see younger people here that bought house and they have not even bothered to mow there grass in 2 years they have been here .They bought bags of fertilizer ,lime and grass seed and they have been piled up next to the driveway for a year now .I guess they think it spreads itself

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I am 35 and started ponding about 6 years ago. I actually work in IT and enjoy water gardening because it gets me away from the machines!!!!! I did work in the landscaping business when i was youger so I enjoy working outside. I have seen quite a few new ponds in my area. I think people are less dependant on local " experts" because of internet sites like this. There is so much info out there now. In the past you would have go librarys and local retail stores for products and advice. So just because local mom and pop places are not busy or closing I dont think that represents lack of interest i this hobby.

Ask a Question