Ive had my pond for 10 yrs, it seems like every few yrs after they grow to 10 lbs or so i put to much algee destroyer in there and kill all my koi.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@don hollowell I really would like to know where you live near S’port that has a spring to feed a pond — that sounds AMAZING! Can you see it on Google maps? Everywhere I look around is dirty old (stagnant) bayou water, nothing crystal clear. I can picture something like that closer to Arkansas, though, so maybe you live closer to the border of LA and AR…..? Pictures, please — it’s lovely once you’re getting up into AR.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A condo complex i lived in wanted to introduce grass carp , and they are similar with a stream feeding the pond and a stream leading away. they had to make a catch pool on the if come that the STERILIZED FISH THAT THEY SPENT A LITTERAL FORTUNE ON HAPPENED TO SPAWN, and they had to have chain link and steel rods driven across the stream.
Not to mention the environmental studies . fish and wild life permits it took them over a year.

That's what I mean about being cautious with natural waterways. We were just in the Everglades and heard all about the issues with the Burmese pythons that were released, either intentionally or not, and how they've affected the native wildlife. It's devastating.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
IT's a lot more than just Pythons.
They believe that's how Milfoil got in the waters of the U.S
Some of there restrictions reactions are way outside of rational thinking i worked on one project they wanted to protect an area due to tiger mosquitos. i'll say no more
and gypsy moths was ". a scientists trying to find an other form of silk"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
IT's a lot more than just Pythons.
They believe that's how Milfoil got in the waters of the U.S
Some of there restrictions reactions are way outside of rational thinking i worked on one project they wanted to protect an area due to tiger mosquitos. i'll say no more
and gypsy moths was ". a scientists trying to find an other form of silk"
Yep, and look at what they did with Covid.

I guess we have to take the bad with all the good that us humans do when we mess with nature.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aint that the truth ..........don't get me started .............BOYCOTT DISNEY .........

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lets just say they are lucky my kids are done with school.. god help anyone who had a conversation with my 3rd grader about gender changing.. bad enough my youngest is fighting woke bs..

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm kind surprised that you can keep koi in a pond that feeds a natural lake - high risk of introducing a potentially invasive species into a natural waterway.

I'm also a bit surprised that you seem to understand what's killing your fish, but you keep repeating the same mistake. But maybe I'm not understanding the question.
my pond is not fed by a natural lake..its spring fed...always fresh s[ring water running into my koi pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes but you said the water then ran down to a lake that's where the issue comes in the down stream more so than up.

Reaction score
Country
United States
i
@don hollowell I really would like to know where you live near S’port that has a spring to feed a pond — that sounds AMAZING! Can you see it on Google maps? Everywhere I look around is dirty old (stagnant) bayou water, nothing crystal clear. I can picture something like that closer to Arkansas, though, so maybe you live closer to the border of LA and AR…..? Pictures, please — it’s lovely once you’re getting up into AR.
live in heflin la...on lake bistineau...i keep saying my pond is spring fed,,,not water from the lake.and my water is always crystal clear

Attachments

• Bog filter.jpg
    Bog filter.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 24
Reaction score
Country
United States
yop
I'm kind surprised that you can keep koi in a pond that feeds a natural lake - high risk of introducing a potentially invasive species into a natural waterway.

I'm also a bit surprised that you seem to understand what's killing your fish, but you keep repeating the same mistake. But maybe I'm not understanding the question.
you understand the wuestion....its called owner being stupid....ive read things that says add this and this,,,so i have,,,and in results i had deaad fish,,,i wont add anything else,,,,period,,,,

Attachments

• Bog filter.jpg
    Bog filter.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What kinda of algae are you getting long string algae ? red? green slime? or short crew cut looking hair on everything ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
yop

you understand the wuestion....its called owner being stupid....ive read things that says add this and this,,,so i have,,,and in results i had deaad fish,,,i wont add anything else,,,,period,,,,
That's what most of us here advocate for.
The most natural way we can sustain a healthy garden water feature.

I never add anything to my pond. Only a dechlorinator if I need to add water. (I'm on central water).

I don't do any water changes either. I can't remember the last time I added water. I guess I'm lucky in that nature takes care of it for me when it rains. Not everyone is lucky like that. All different climates.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's what most of us here advocate for.
The most natural way we can sustain a healthy garden water feature.

I never add anything to my pond. Only a dechlorinator if I need to add water. (I'm on central water).

I don't do any water changes either. I can't remember the last time I added water. I guess I'm lucky in that nature takes care of it for me when it rains. Not everyone is lucky like that. All different climates.
thank you all for the great response.and answers,,,i think its all in being stupid and reading too much to a solution i dont have..thank you all again and i will certainly keep y`all updated .....see iam from the south and we talk kinda funny like that

Ask a Question