Ive had my pond for 10 yrs, it seems like every few yrs after they grow to 10 lbs or so i put to much algee destroyer in there and kill all my koi.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Way too many posts with algecide killing fish.
Please stop using algecide. Keep the algecide for your pool only! ;)

How big is the bog?
Could it be too small?
It is suggested that the surface area of the bog be at least 30% of the pond's surface area.

Exactly how is your bog constructed?
Please post details.

When I added the bog to my way overstocked pond my solid green water cleared within a week and has stayed clear for 2 years.
my bog is 10 ft x 3 ft deep x4 ft wide.i constructed the upflow system,,,2" pvc,,,,3 divided sections 90 up 4 ft for cleanouts.and 4 tons of peagravel

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh, I think I understand the issue now. I think at least most of us were assuming you had green water. You have clear water, but just other forms of algae?

Correct me if I am wrong on this too!
you are exactly correct on the diffrent algae,,,i dont know what kind it is,,,its not strink ,its not green,,,so again,,,iam confused

Reaction score
Country
United States
What kinda of algae are you getting long string algae ? red? green slime? or short crew cut looking hair on everything ?
its short crew cut looking,,,again i have no idea what to do...i know i will not add chemicals to the pond again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
its short crew cut looking,,,again i have no idea what to do...i know i will not add chemicals to the pond again
A bit of fuzzy algae on the surfaces in your pond is a good thing - there's nothing you need to do. From what I can see in your pictures, and your description of crystal clear water, I'd say things are just fine! Remember, it's a pond, not a hot tub, and it's not supposed to look squeaky clean & sterile. That's not natural. Yes, it would be good to add in some additional plants, but I don't think you've got a serious algae problem going on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If it is what I believe it is you do nothing that is a sign of a health pond. I can see to the bottom of my 6 foot deep pond I could make out a dime amongst the gravel on the bottom and yet the rocks all have a BIO FILM on them in early spring as the pumps have been shut down or at a minimum the plants are not growing. The algae gets to maybe 2 inches. Then things start to warm up and it's now 1/4 inch harder to see and the fish grazing on it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You get happy and realize at least it sounds as if you have succeeded. Like said above its not a sterile environment. Belive it or not when you go to the tropics the waters are actually very lacking in nutrients. It's the school of plankton , krill, fish, and coral spores that feed each other in the deserts of the Oceans and seas.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sounds like carpet algae, which is exactly what you want in your pond. The more surface you have covered with the short "crew cut" looking stuff, the better - great descriptor by the way!

Your pond is very pretty! I would guess the fish hang out by the inlet simply because they love moving water. Koi are originally river fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
short "crew cut" looking stuff, the better - great descriptor by the way!
thank you
calling it a carpet ah somewhat does it but to me the rocks look like g i joe

Reaction score
Country
United States
@don hollowell I really would like to know where you live near S’port that has a spring to feed a pond — that sounds AMAZING! Can you see it on Google maps? Everywhere I look around is dirty old (stagnant) bayou water, nothing crystal clear. I can picture something like that closer to Arkansas, though, so maybe you live closer to the border of LA and AR…..? Pictures, please — it’s lovely once you’re getting up into AR.
iam sure google maps will show you nothing...i live on a slight hill on the bank of lake bistineau, the lake is my front yard,the reason i decided to build a ---koi pond--- was i always had a spring running water in my yard..so me wife wantsd a koi pond,,,so i dug it out with my tractor,,,and its sure been a learning experience ever sence,,,a daily learning experience at that

Reaction score
Country
United States
my wife and i are both retired and living on a fixed income,si the things we want to do seems to be put on the back burner until things are better,,,and we love our pond and proud of the acheivment we have made on it,,,we really apprciate all the fantastic help we have had with our friends here on Garden pond forum,,,you just have no idea how much you have helped us,,,and we dearly appreciate it,,,don & jeri hollowell

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Your pond is gorgeous!!! I’m so jealous!!!

Sounds like the only problem you have is thinking you have a problem. It’s super pretty!

I picked up some small cloth pond pots from Amazon. Filled them with pond soil, and solid pea gravel cover, and dropped them carefully into the pond.

Plants are really growing rapidly with Rom for roots to grow.

I am not an expert, that’s just a thing I got working.

Reaction score
Country
United States
thank you for the compliment,,we have worked hard on it...and yes , you are right...it seems i think i could do more.when everything is ok...thank you for looking at my pond pics

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
thank you for the compliment,,we have worked hard on it...and yes , you are right...it seems i think i could do more.when everything is ok...thank you for looking at my pond pics

I look at the treatment of water similar to medical care.

If you have an acute medical problem, you need the medication/surgery to solve the problem.
If you have a chronic medical problem, it's much better addressed with lifestyle, diet, etc., than drastic options.

In the case of your pond -> explosion of a problem might require some help. There is a little more algae than you'd like? Treat that with more plants, not poisons.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Treat that with more plants, not poisons.
And patience it takes mother nature some time to re adjust and create the coloies of soldiers she needs to combat an imbalance.

Ask a Question